1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good news!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by devondumpling, Feb 10, 2011.

1. I hope I am not being over-optimistic, but I have noticed in this week's DCC Bulletin that they are advertising for supply teachers. Could this be the end of teachers having to find work through agencies, who don't pay to scale and make no contributions to the Teachers' Pension Scheme?

2. DCC = Devon County Council

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What's DCC ? Devon County Council? Perhaps they are finally realising with day-day supply dying out they are going to need regular supplies to take on those maternity leave/long-term sickness posts & if they don'tcatch us quick we just won't be there?
    Well one can dream can't one!

4. Hope so. But Devon did not use to pay supply to scale point on "day rate", they have used "hourly rate" in the past, about 16% . less per day, but with TP, about 5/6 day credited per day.
    I doubt if this is a major reversal, but there must come a point where schools have no pool of teachers to step into contract roles, and start to worry.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I work directly for schools & am paid correct payscale, but the LA has 2 structures- daily rate if one teaches every lesson + tutor time& daily rate when one is paid dependant on how many actual lessons one teaches. We used to be able to add on 20 mins for admin (marking) but even that doesn't count anymore.