1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good news from NEU

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sbkrobson, Mar 30, 2020.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just received good news from the NEU that supply teachers both agency and Umbrella, under PAYE, will qualify for the 80%.
    Visit their site for more details.
    Breathe out.
    Good to get that clarity, although we still need to know about the "almost all"

For confirmation, this is what they just sent me-
    "
    Pressure on the Government is working and it has announced schemes that can cover all supply teachers.

All agency or umbrella company staff paid under PAYE are covered by the Government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. It pays 80% of average pay up to £2,500 per month. Almost all supply teachers are covered by this scheme.

For the remainder of supply teachers, the Chancellor announced a similar scheme last night and we will update you as soon as we have more details."

pepper5 and Rott Weiler like this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

80% of what, do you know ? The requirement is you were on payroll on PAYE basis on 28th February isn't it? What if you hadn't done any supply assignments in February and March, so your gross pay from Agency/Umbrella for those 2 months was Nil? Has that been clarified?

pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's 80% of your average pay, which I think you are allowed to calculate on the basis of the last year.
    But once again, it's a changing beast. I may be wrong. I read three years somewhere. somewher else I read three months.:mad:
    It is good news to at least hear mention of both flavours of agency teaching, but It wont leave much for a supply teacher, when you consider the 25% reduction anyway to cover fallow holiday periods. Although we had that anyway, making the 25% reduction as part of the yearly calculation, and then the 20% reduction for the stated allowance means that supply teachers will end up all round with a lower percentage. It depends if your regular pay includes holiday pay, as per most supply contracts, or excludes it, as a few do.
    I'm just off to do that maths properly, hang on...

pepper5 likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

5. Rott Weiler

I think I've found the answer in the government guidance

Employees whose pay varies

If the employee has been employed (or engaged by an employment business) for a full twelve months prior to the claim, you can claim for the higher of either:
    • the same month’s earning from the previous year
    • average monthly earnings from the 2019-20 tax year
    If the employee has been employed for less than a year, you can claim for an average of their monthly earnings since they started work.

If the employee only started in February 2020, use a pro-rata for their earnings so far to claim.
    The 3-year average earnings is the separate scheme for the self employed, not the PAYE employees scheme

6. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

7. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

My agency is being very quiet on the matter. I have just received one email saying they were looking into it:(.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It sounds like good news - but I do think you guys will have to wait a while for the dosh.

tonymars and pepper5 like this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I got this from my ex agency on Friday

We are pleased to confirm that the Government has now issued further guidance on their Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which confirms that agency workers who were on Vision for Education’s payroll on 28 February 2020 may be eligible for the scheme.

What happens now?
    We are waiting for the Government to issue further guidance on calculating and processing payments using a new system, which they are currently developing. The Government expect the scheme will be up and running by the end of April.

We will email agency workers that we cannot offer work, to confirm that they will be furloughed and provide further instructions on what they need to do. We can back date pay to the date when no work was available for them. We expect this date will be the Monday after all the schools closed (Friday 20 March 2020).

What do you need to do?
    Until we receive further instructions from the Government, there isn’t anything that we need you to action.

Please be reassured that we will complete everything required of us with the highest priority, to ensure agency workers who are eligible for the scheme receive their payments as soon as possible when the Government’s new system goes live.

What the Government has said about the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme so far:
    • It’s a temporary scheme which has initially been set up for at least three months, starting from 1 March 2020, and employers can use this scheme anytime during this period.
    • Employers can claim for 80% of furloughed employees’ (employees who are not working) wages, up to £2,500 a month, plus the employer’s pension and national insurance contributions.
    • The scheme is for employees who are not working, and staff are unable to work whilst they are furloughed.
    • Wages will be subject to usual PAYE deductions.
    Further guidance on the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme is available on the .Gov website. You can also visit the Coronavirus latest updates page onour website for more coronavirus information.

10. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Many of us will work for different agencies and umbrella companies over the year, so how will this impact on the pay? I commenced with main umbrella agency in November 2019, when the agency switched umbrella companies, so I have with been with my main employer for less then a year and my earnings for the same monthly earnings for Feb 2019 was less then Feb 2020 for example.

Do the umbrella companies/agencies contact us or do we contact then and who do we contact, the main agency/umbrella company or all the agencies we are registered with?

I am slightly confused in how it will work.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. Rott Weiler

From the official Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme guidance

If your employee has more than one job

If your employee has more than one employer they can be furloughed for each job. Each job is separate, and the cap applies to each employer individually
    That's dealing with what happens if you were on the payroll on PAYE of more than one employer on the qualifying date - 28th February 2020.

Employments that you had left before 28th February are not relevant AIUI

That doesn't necessarily work against you. The guidance I quoted in Post #5 says that if you had worked for the employer for less than a year the furloughed pay is calculated from the monthly average for the months you did work for them.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  12. historygrump

I have just had this email from one of my umbrella companies

However, we already know that as things stand we will only be able to pay 80% of the national minimum wage, rather than 80% of your total earnings. This is due to the national minimum wage plus bonus pay structure that umbrella companies have to operate to allow the flexibility to cater for different assignment rates.

We and the FCSA are pressing the government urgently to review this aspect of the scheme and a number of other matters so we can provide maximum financial assistance to as many people as possible.

The minimum wage up to the 1st April was £8.21 and 80% of this was £6.56, x by 30 hours this would amount to £197.40 and at 35 hours, this would be around £229.88. The minimum wage increases on 1st April to £8.72 or at 80% £6.96, so at 30 hours this would amount to £208 and 35 hours to £224. I presume this is before deductions, around would amount to around £150 to £180 per week, which is not much more then universal credit.

So again, do we have to make just one claim or can we make claims to all our umbrella/agencies?

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This is going to be so complicated to work out isn't it.

tonymars likes this.
  14. historygrump

If you can only make one claim, I have done a basic calculation based upon previous experience of UC and taking into account the additional increase, I would in theory get around £137, plus around £10 towards my council tax, so around £147 per week. However considering the umbrella can take around 30% of your pay in the many deductions they can think off, so on the figure of £197, I could get just £137 per week and have to pay the council tax in full, potentially. Even based on 35 hours and £229, it would be around £160 per week.

Many of us could be better on UC, if we can only make a single claim, we need to see if the umbrella companies get us a better deal or we can see if we can money of all the agencies., the retention was meant to benefit us, but we could be worse off.

15. libby602

libby602 New commenter

Just wondered if someone could help me with a quick question?
    My agency has said they will consider furlough for some of their members who were on the payroll on the 28th Feb. However, I was only contracted to work on a Monday and Tuesday, which I started on the 2nd March.
    Does this mean that because I started work after the 28th Feb on payroll cut-off date, even though I had signed and returned my contract before this date, mean that I will not be eligible?

Thanks for any advise

16. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

I will be in a similar situation. I laughed not because it funny but because the system is so corrupt. And I realised I am viewing my own life as temporary by agreeing to these umbrella fees. I have no intention of going back to that once this over so my answer to my agency when they contact me will be no. Life is worth more.

It now appears you can work elsewhere while.you are furloughed as long as it is temporary and things return to normal after this is over. I guess that is because of vast need for temporary workers in key jobs. Doesn't stop you from handing your notice when this is over as is doesn't stop employers from terminating contracts. So all is fair in love and war.

17. historygrump

Sharon, I emailed the umbrella statement to my union rep and he was shocked, I belief he may refer it to the NEU leadership and he wants me to phone him tomorrow. I suspect the NEU was under the impression that we would get 80% of our average income and this scheme, if applied would force experience supply teachers onto UC or into employment outside education, which would be undermining the educational system. The government and the unions call us key workers, but we are treated not as key workers, but as unimportant workers, not essential to education or any other role. would it be legal to pay us less then the minimum wage?.

To be fair the umbrella seem to recognise the weakness and danger of paying supply staff less then the minimum wage and are seeking to address the situation, and if we can and are successful in making more then one claim, we may survive. Otherwise like you and thousands more, I may have to leave education and seek a role in a different sector.

agathamorse, pepper5 and sharon7482 like this.
  18. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

Yes there are so many glaring issues in the system which now need smoothing. It's legal nightmare. I want to help during this time and there a couple of local schools which need support. I may offer my services and ask temporarily tonne paid directly while I am furloughed. I found out today that is allowed along as it is a temporary arrangement at the moment.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  19. Rott Weiler

The answer to that is in the official guidance to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - it's 'Yes'

upload_2020-3-31_8-28-12.png

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  20. freckle808

freckle808 New commenter

why the heck can self employed go up to 3 yrs back and PAYE cant?

pepper5 likes this.