1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good MFL cover

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by geffone, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Yes good of someone to ask us supply teachers.
    Looking at the original post I would be flapping a bit it I needed to deliver a Poster and a Flim in the same lesson. I would be flapping around with the electronics then having to flap around with the resources for the poster.
    I am not MFL but I can handle German but it rarely comes up these days.
    However if I am in a subject I really do not have much to contribute such as French or Spanish.
    Then I prefer simply text books and the page and exercise numbers. And does the teacher want the work completed in the students textbooks or on paper.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I do MFL cover.
    Posters are a waste of time and paper and some children hate drawing.
    Films/ videos send me into a cold sweat because the technology often fails and the kids have usually seen it before.
    Revision equates to doing nothing, unless it is very specific.
    Good, old fashioned text book work is fine, as long as they can do it. Please provide extension work.
    There are loads of resources available on this forum and I do take along worksheets of my own. I have recently used a couple of the powerpoint quizzes and Millionaire ppts, which went down well.
    Thanks for asking!

3. One thing I often do is to teach them a song. Just a fairly simple song. You then get them to translate it.
    It does require that you sing, of course.
    Spanish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62exJsUwfxM&feature=related

French: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9xCSI26DVc&feature=related

German: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG-B8inb9YE

These are the ones I use, (not the YouTubes) which I can sing from memory.

A guitar helps but not essential.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I'm not a language teacher but then there is no guarentee that the cover you get will be either. That being a chance could you please put your instructions in English and not the particular subject language. Sounds a bit daft I know but it happened to me once when I was asked to cover a Spanish lesson, all the instructions were in Spanish and I literally didn't have a clue what to do (I only know one Spanish word; "cerveza").
    I can echo other contributer's views about showing a film, it sounds a good idea but the technology often lets you down. But unlike others here I quite like poster work provided there is a specific aim and the class like doing them. Some classes hate them and vague cover instructions "do a poster on all you have learnt" for example could be reasons poster work has a bad rap.
    If doing book work please provide some answers for a non-MFL teacher.