1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good Maths and Literacy interventions for Year 1 and 2?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mindthegap, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mindthegap

mindthegap New commenter

Which literacy/ numeracy 'catch up' interventions do you use in your school? Are they effective? What are the training implications for delivering them? I wonder if we could make a list of interventions that you have found to be effective. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. mindthegap

mindthegap New commenter

Which literacy/ numeracy 'catch up' interventions do you use in your school? Are they effective? What are the training implications for delivering them? I wonder if we could make a list of interventions that you have found to be effective. Thanks in advance for any info.

3. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

In English we have
    Y1 ELS, not sure of effectiveness as unfortunately it hasn't happened for the last couple of years as no one to deliver! A group about to start with a newly trained TA, I plan to monitor carefully.
    FFT - a daily intervention of 20 minutes, delivered by TA's with specific FFT training. Programme lasts for 10 weeks and is aimed at the poorest readers. It has some critics due to its similarity to Reading Recovery however has some really positive parts. Some of our pupils have achived really good results (i.e. 1C to 2C reader, finishing Y2 at 2A) others hardly moved. We're only in 2nd year so can't assess the long term impact for individuals yet.
    Daily Readers - each class identifies their low average or struggling readers, or those who don't read at home. These children are then read with 1 to 1 as often as possible - daily is a stretch! Often with TA's during assembly or with trained (by us) parent volunteers.
    We have also used a Direct Phonics programme, and something called Getting Ready to Read, can't really comment on effectiveness as were before I became English Leader and were never children in my class.
    I think a really important factor is the skills and knowledge of the person delivering the intervention and the commitment to ensure it happens reguarly enough.