1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good luck FP, keep your head down!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MisterMaker, Jan 28, 2011.

1. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

From what I'm watching Egypt is the last place in the world I'd like to be right now. The internet has been cut off by the Egyptian government! I couldn't live without internet, how would I download my favourite BBC comedies? Living overseas gets easier every year - or seems to - and the internet has been a real game changer to enjoying life outside Blighty. (BTW: downloading copyright material is illegal and I do not condone it! I do have, however, some spare invites to the box, a site for accessing British TV)
    Hopefully FP et al are safely tucked away. I have a friend up in Alex I haven't heard from yet!
    I just watched a police van run into a crowd of rioters and then a similar looking van on fire a few moments later. Expect Foreign Office advisory updates to start warning Brits to consider travelling to Cairo and Alex any time soon!
    Am I doom mongering or is anyone foolish to head that way right now?

2. MisterMaker

From what I'm watching Egypt is the last place in the world I'd like to be right now. The internet has been cut off by the Egyptian government! I couldn't live without internet, how would I download my favourite BBC comedies? Living overseas gets easier every year - or seems to - and the internet has been a real game changer to enjoying life outside Blighty. (BTW: downloading copyright material is illegal and I do not condone it! I do have, however, some spare invites to the box, a site for accessing British TV)
    Hopefully FP et al are safely tucked away. I have a friend up in Alex I haven't heard from yet!
    I just watched a police van run into a crowd of rioters and then a similar looking van on fire a few moments later. Expect Foreign Office advisory updates to start warning Brits to consider travelling to Cairo and Alex any time soon!
    Am I doom mongering or is anyone foolish to head that way right now?

3. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I too am concerned about how things might turn out in Egypt. Dear all in Egypt, please let us know when things are ok.

....and of course, take care of yourselves. (Save the last beer for yourself)

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I am pretty sure FP and BFG live well away from the action as we are seeing it on TV (although a couple of years ago FP lived right in the middle of where it is happening).
    I am also confident that they will be fine.
    He will be at home with beer in hand itching to get back on here once internet is reinstated.
    Keep your head down and your beer glass full!

5. stopwatch

MM - internet, mobile, Blackberry servcices and sms are all currently suspended which is probably the reason you won't have heard anything.

6. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

They'll be safe indoors with a case of Sakara sitting it out. I'm hesitant to make a call on this one but I guess we'll see in the morning. A policeman's lot can not be a happy one in Cairo at the moment - side with the army or the people? f**ked either way!

7. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Here, here. Good luck to you all.

8. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

The situation appears to be deteriorating rapidly with reports of Mubarak sponsored thugs looting and wreaking havoc all over Cairo in order to prove to the people that only Mubarak can protect them. Al Jazeera is picking up on this but BBC, CNN are way behind.

9. Gotta love Al Jazeera.
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/01/2011129175926266521.html

10. MisterMaker

11. FP, I know you wont read this yet but just know we are thinking of you in this tough time. Probably Deja Vu given your[​IMG] time in Kuwait. As you know, things will get back to normal in a couple of weeks. Just hope that you are not at the mercy of the Muslim Brotherhood or some other fundamentalist group, who tend to exploit situations such as you now have. I hope it doesn't ruin your life in Egypt. Keep the chin up.
    MN[​IMG]

12. lostintheworld

lostintheworld New commenter

FP and the BFG are probably already in London, I reckon they have packed up and left Cairo....where is the love of Cairo now??? If I was them I would stay until the last breath....BFG has been there for years and used the Egyptians and not they need him.....hmmm

13. A bit harsh there. Not the type support they need. Perhaps a little magnanimity would be more appropriate.[​IMG]

14. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Very harsh indeed, although online derision is probably not their chief worry right now.
    Surely if they had already fled the country they would be commenting ruefully and boozily on here already.
    No, I prefer to think of these old troopers seeing things through, with a noble ending in the manner of General Charles George Gordon, if the worst comes to the very worst:
    [​IMG]

15. lostintheworld

lostintheworld New commenter

Well maybe there are still in Cairo and taking part in the demonstrations....

16. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

I am unsure of the whereabouts of FP but do know that as of Saturday BFG was still in Cairo and fine. The latest from on the ground for those who know the areas:
    Maadi - some looting, a bank smashed up by Grand Mall but rumours of Grand mall being trashed supposedly untrue on Saturday. Ace club closed yesterday but was open again today, obviously curfew means early closing and takeouts. Rumour that rd 233 was trashed and all the shops looted apparently untrue but Metro was looted.
    Interesting point, the Sky reporter going to Maadi went in through Dar-Es-Salaam as far as I could tell which looks like a riot hit zone all year round. When he was on the way back he went past Alfa market on the Corniche which looked intact, as did the Vodafone next to it.
    Maadi city centre Carrefour was looted and is apparently effectively gone for a bit.
    There are 'vigilante' groups around protecting their neighbourhoods with sticks and whatever they have, the army seem OK about the sticks and even knives but not too keen on them having guns. They say they will continue to protect the areas they live in and are checking cars etc. If you live there and are not a looter, you are OK even if it looks a bit scary.
    Egyptian museum now secured by army and demonstrators.
    Some Egyptian websites now up and running, calls can be made to cell phones and from cell phones in Egypt but SMS and internet still down in most places. Land lines seem to have been unaffected (I phoned the Ace and they answered!)
    A lot of people leaving have been stuck at the airport, flights are being cancelled regularly and as far as I can tell the FCO stands for F****ng C**ts Office with the word useless added between the F and C for the fact that they have not even looked at any kind of evacuation plan. Their advice is to get a flight out but not travel to the airport unless you can leave. How perchance does one book a flight when the travel agents are all closed, internet is not running so you cannot book, and when the advice was given no cell phone coverage was in place. Oh, and have you ever tried phoning Cairo airport? Thought not Mr Hague.
    Anyway, hope they are all fine, sounds like the curfew parties can be fun....

17. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Oh, and I have not fled, just finished my holiday a few weeks ago so was back here when it happened. I know quite a few there, some have managed to leave, others are stuck at the airport, others trying to see it out and keeping their heads down. Whatever else, if you get to read this look after yourselves and hope the shops that are open still have pot noodles!!

18. stopwatch

Silly comment. Is it supposed to raise a laugh? don't tell me - you were serious.

19. MisterMaker

You're trying to wind me up now. You chalk - me cheese! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. stopwatch

Got email from FP this afternoon. He and family fine. School closed. Shops have plenty of food, but beer may be running out!