1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good-looking teachers

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MayaJones, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

I would imagine it's a 'lost in translatio' scenario? As I'm on supply I also work as an ESL teacher online for a Bejiing company in the holidays/at weekends. They do a good job generally, considering I don't speak Mandarin, but occasionally you do get the odd grammar issue or word that makes you chuckle ;)They most probably mean 'smart/well presented' - how you would normally appear for work and having a clear teaching voice - and yes why not inspiring? If it isn't just a translation thing then run for the hills and yes the holidays do appear somewhat harsh :confused:

motorhomer and sbkrobson like this.
  2. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

They may possibly mean 12 weeks holiday also.

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

If this is the case, I would run to the hills for the reason that they are so poorly organised they don't even get someone with a good grasp of English to check their job ads.

motorhomer and dumbbells66 like this.
  4. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Clearly lost in translation and they mean "be presentable", "look professional", "look like a teacher dressed as an estate agent" or something like that. Yes, they should have had it proof read by someone with native level fluency in English, but thats in itself is not a reason to run to the hills. The school has earned a very bad reputation as a place to work though in a very short time. Run for your life!

5. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

This is an advert for the ESL Coordinator - in this particular case, if they can't get the English right then I'd say it was a definite run for the hills!

T0nyGT likes this.
  6. mr1303

mr1303 New commenter

It is worth saying that in Vietnam, 12 days holiday a year is the legal minimum, and most Vietnamese staff would have that amount of holiday. So sad to say that 12 days holiday is probably correct there :(

7. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

7 days is fairly common in Taiwan.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

but both of these are exceptionally un-common in international schools. i have friends in three different schools in Vietnam (north and south) and they only have 180 contact days.

9. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Phew dumbells old son, I thought you were going to add good looks to all your other many, many accomplishments!! :p

10. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

nahhhh, im like a bulldog licking pee of a nettle. i cant be great at everything and be good looking too

11. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Well I am too handsome for them. A cross I must bear

dumbbells66 likes this.