1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good interviews!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by scienceteachasghost, Jul 19, 2019.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

The flip side.. ...

1 You get the job!
    2 The kids are genuinely well behaved AND answer questions
    3. Amazing buffet lunches (rare in thiscage if austerrity)
    4. Unlimited access to a staff room coffee machine while you wait!
    5. Brutally honest feedback (I had that once, was taken aback but had deep respect for them having the balls to give it)
    6. You make friends with other candidates, even just for the interview process.
    7. You get to slag off the education system to someone even more cynical than yourself
    8. They tell you there and then.
    9. They let you know quickly after (8 mins or so is the record for me)
    10. Knowing you beat decent candidates to get it
    11 When it's a No but the school tell you you WILL find something, it boosts morale
    12 You can tick another school off in Nottinghamshire you've seen

2. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

I admire your positively

agathamorse likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

13 The school that said that while we were waiting to be interviewed, we were welcome to explore the department, go into any lesson, ask questions. I had a good chat to the person with the same role as I had in my current department, scrutinised their department handbook (some ideas to steal, some things I didn't like), as well as getting a good feel for the place.
    14 The school that arranged their interview schedule around a primary school play, for which I was playing the piano.

ViolaClef and agathamorse like this.
  4. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

15. You realise that you are the only person who is selected to be interviewed (out of the other candidates on the day).

16. You get a job without being interviewed.

5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Even a cynic like me has to brighten up sometimes!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. jibberjabber77

jibberjabber77 New commenter

knowing you got the job prior to interview after really good lesson

agathamorse and Idiomas11 like this.
  7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

17. Being given time ... instead of being rushed from one task to the next. One interview overran by half an hour because it was a genuine discussion and not just a question-firing session.

18. The Heads who gave genuine and honest feedback.

19. The freshly-made coffee in the china cup and saucer with a biscuit!

agathamorse likes this.
  8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Hmmm... we don’t seem to have found as many positives as negatives, have we, @scienceteachasghost?

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

20. Meeting the Head at an Agricultural Show where she's showing pedigree rabbits: she invites you to interview the following week and you get the job.

21. You don't have to teach the rabbits!