1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good Housekeeping.. you too?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Just an aside but how many of us received Good Housekeeping's Cookery Encyclopedia on leaving home?
    I did, way back in 82. My mum did too, much earlier. I still have it, she still has hers. It's a 'go to' book when I forget something.
    I have bought a copy as house warming gifts for a few people who were nervous about cooking.
    And I wondered, are we here discussing cooking with such enthusiasm because we got this book - or one like it - when we left home?

2. I got the Reader's Digest Cookery Year too, after my Mum had had it for years. I still find it ever so useful, especially the section at the back.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

All girls at my school were given a copy of a McDougal's cookbook...or was it Homepride?...No, I'm pretty sure it was McDougals!....Being sponsored by a flour company it was mostly bread/cakes.
    Mum had a Good Housekeeping - it had lost it's dust-jacket and the covers were an imposing black....I loved to sit and look at it - I was fascinated by the (black and white) photos in it.
    One Christmas I was given a Readers' Digest Cookery Year....and it eventually fell to pieces through so much use - and I am now on my second copy! These days it is mainly the back section I use - although I love to browse through the whole book!
    Then there was/is Dr Oetker's Schulkochbuch (I'll bet CQ has a copy too!)
    And of course....my favourite....the handwritten/compiled recipe book....some of the recipes (especially Omi's) are vague as to quantities (and sometmes ingredients...you'll be working through the recipe and it tells you to now add the beaten egg...egg?...egg?....the ingredients list never mentioned an egg!!!!....I soon learned to read the whole recipe before starting!)....but this is definitely the go-to book for Christmas baking!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have the Reader's Digest Cookery Year, as well as several GH books and a VERY tatty copy of the Dairy Book of Home Cookery....................plus heaps more but these ones I do use regularly as well as dipping into Delia.

5. I remember throwing out huge hints for the Good Housekeeping book but got Mrs Beeton instead - rubbish it was too.
    The first cookery book I bought for myself was the Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook. I eventually graduated to the Reader's Digest one - sadly, it got lost on one of my house moves - and Delia, of course.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

This was my cookbook when I was a student-I still use it a lot. \you have good taste Cosmos! I made the loganberry mousse a couple of days ago. My bible was/is The Penguin Cookery Book by Bee Nilson.

7. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Beth, was it a Bero book? I had one for years, but lost it in a house move. Keep meaning to replace it, but memories of it are so lovely, a new one just wouldn't be the same.

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I have my Bero book (and my mum's)

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

No, not Bero....I'm fairly sure it was McDougals.....or Hompepride!

10. Yes!
    And the Bero book.
    And a Kladder.

11. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I've got my mum's Good Housekeeping book. The only time she ever used it was to make Christmas cake. My mum hated cooking. She taught me everything she knew!

12. My Mum never had one - Grandma did. It was wrapped in baking parchment to keep it clean. I wonder where it is now? Must find out! I used to read it on a Sunday morning after Church (before Church I had to have the potatoes peeled). Gosh, life was a thrill back then!
    Do you know I have gone back to wearing a pinny? I am turning into my Grandmother [​IMG]

13. One of mine wore a housecoat..... I did consider it, then thought again!

14. ohhhhhhhhhh, yes, there are limits.
    German grannies wear those kind of things. Oma Leni was so tiny that hers went down to her ankles!

15. [​IMG] my nana's tickled her talus too!!

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I had some big colourful paperback cookery books by Lalita Ahmed. I wanted to learn how to cook Indian recipes and pretty much worked my way through the books.
    I remember making samosas from scratch, including proper pastry, and cooking them in my gloomy little bedsit. The horrible grey room with a table set out beautifully in the middle with plates of lovely, fragrant food.

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

My Omi wore a Kittel!...and she was tiny too!
    I'm not exactly sure what Irish Gran wore int he kitchen...but it would have been stained yellow/brown with snuff!
    I wear a 'full' pinny with a bib and a big pocket.
    Did anyone else have to make a pinny at school?....first term you did 'dress-making' and made a pinny and then you wore that for your cookery lessons?.....one of my schools did that....we also made our own summer frocks. (One of my other schools didn't teach us cookery or needlework...we were 'Grammar School' girls and presumably would never need such menial skills!!!)

18. I make them just like that still. If my small business ever sells anything pinnies will be at the forefront of my repertoire! [​IMG]

19. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

We did exactly the same, it was at middle school, which was one of the old 'secondary moderns' - useful skills that I still use, unlike Pythagoras theorem and the equation for chlorophyll, which having learnt parrot fashion, I've never forgotten but never used!

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I think you mean the equation for photsynthesis [​IMG]
    I too made a pinny in the equivalent of year 7. We all made a gingham apron and hand smocked it. Mine was yellow gingham with blue embroidery. Funny the little details we can remember!