1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good holiday reads for holidays in Greece

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Anonymous, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

If you are holidaying in Greece take some of Anne Zouroudi's detective novels with you. She is spot on at describing the Greek way of life, and her detective, Hermes Diaktoras, is an unusual treat. I've read all of them and enjoyed every one.

2. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Thanks for the recommendation. I've just googled them and they seem very popular. I must be the only person on the planet who's not a fan of Scandinavian detectives, but I might give these a go. I like to read outside my comfort zone in the holidays.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm another person who doesn't care for them.

4. Underachiever

Looks like there ain't nobody here but us chickens, nutella.

On the subject of Greece, I've just bought Skios by Michael Frayn for a bit of light summer reading.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I must do a trawl of the charity shops again soon to find a new pile of goodies to read.

6. Underachiever

One of my favourite occupations nutella - and something the kindle can never replace.

My son works in the oil industry and his company has bought every employee a copy of 'Fire in the Night' about the Piper Alpha disaster, just to keep safety at the forefront of their minds. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he thoroughly recommends it as a good (if sometimes harrowing) read, whether in or out of the off-shore industry. I've bought it for my OH to stop him nicking my holiday reads and then complaining he doesn't like them.

7. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I was working in the oil industry at the time of Piper Alpha - it was a dreadfully harrowing incident. Reading your post has brought back memories of that day - I can smell the tension, angst and fear all over again. Will attempt 'Fire in the Night'.

8. Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals , set on Corfu, and Captain Correlli's Mandolin on Cephalonia.

9. Underachiever

I can't vouch for the book myself wiemaranerlover, but my son's an avid reader and he found it gripping. He was born in the year of the disaster and now works in safety and risk management. It's the only fitting tribute to those that died that lads like him learn from those mistakes.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm going to Rhodes and have Lady of Sorrows by Anne Zouroudi on my Kindle, I haven't read any of her books before but might have a look at some more after your recommendation. I also have Rhodes to Romance by Anna Pagram which was a kindle daily deal and might turn out to be complete trash.