1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good hair straighteners?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by claire810, Apr 15, 2011.

1. I don't really like faffing round with my hair too much but a few years ago I bought a really good Trevor Sorbie set of straighteners.
    When they burnt out I replaced them with Phillips - hate them!!
    Can anyone recommend any good straighteners that cost less than £50?
    My hair is quite fine but I'm told I have lots of it!!
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. I don't really like faffing round with my hair too much but a few years ago I bought a really good Trevor Sorbie set of straighteners.
    When they burnt out I replaced them with Phillips - hate them!!
    Can anyone recommend any good straighteners that cost less than £50?
    My hair is quite fine but I'm told I have lots of it!!
    Thanks [​IMG]

3. Stop wasting your money buying cheap ones....get yourself some GHDs!

4. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Totally agree with pinkflipflop - they are worth the investment.
    I also stumbled across Dove's heat defence shampoo and conditioner. Makes my hair feel lovely before I ravage it with the straighteners on a daily basis.

5. My sister-in-law got some that I think were called Red. She rates them.

6. Has anyone tried that John Frieda three-day keratin straightener yet?

7. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

I agree, I've had my GHDs nearly ten years and they're still going strong. Although they're more expensive in the first instance you'll save money in the long run.

8. Would agree GHDs
    You could have a look on ebay for some 2nd hand ones-they do last a long time.

9. I have to say I agree. Look on GHD as an investment. I have some other travel ones that are good too but they were nearly as expensive. Sorry, I can't remember the make.

10. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I love my Andrew Barton ones. Just as good as GHDs

11. GHDs! Expensive, but well worth it!
    Or if they are that little bit too much,maybe find about TRESemme ones? I've never used them myself, but they're £60 in Argos and I realised this evening that I've had my TRESemme hair dryer 6 years, and it's still going strong.

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My straightners are Phillips, and I love them. I've had them about 8 years now and they don't appear to be on their way out yet!
    GHDs are just too much for my hair - they frazzle it.

13. Another vote for GHDs from me! Mind you, I have Phillips, because I can't afford GHDs, which do the job just as well! However, I have just been staying with an old colleague friend and used her GHDs and, as always, can't believe how much better they are!!

14. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I don't know what they cost - but I have Remington wet to straight (I think they have since been re-branded as sleek & shine or something)
    I have very thick & very curly hair & can use them on wet hair.

Fabulous! - no need for a hairdryer - just wash & straighten

15. The wet tO straight can really wreck your hair!

16. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Come on then girls, spill the beans. Do you only use the hair straighteners on your head hair or have you had success elsewhere?

17. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I can only speak for myself but I used them almost daily for about 18 months and my hair wasn't damaged at all by them!

18. 576

576 Occasional commenter

19. I was an avid fan for a long time but not any more. My hair was so damaged by them that I had to go from hair past my shoulders to a short bob to cut all the awful split hair off!

20. GHDs are the best I've tried, although I did have a pair of Mark Hill straighteners for a few years beforehand which did an OK job on straightening my hair.
    Only problem was that the ceramic covering on the plates started to come off and then there'd be a terrible smell of burnt hair. I think the Mark Hill ones are made by Morphy Richards.
    Alternatively, you could try the Yuko hair straightening system, which is a Japanese hair straightening method that I had done in a salon. It cost me about £150, but my hair was much straighter and smoother for over 12 months.