1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good Gite/Cottage websites for France?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dalian Daisy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Howdy,
    A small group of us have a wedding to attend in Brittany in August & would like to stay in a Gite/cottage for a week for 4 people- 2 doubles. We've been looking on the usual 'Cottages 4 u' which seem pretty expensive & also really dated in decor. The other we have checked out is 'french country cottages' which was mega expensive- seemed the default setting was over a grand!! We found one called
    <font color="#009933">www.ownersdirect.co.uk &rsaquo; </font>France<font color="#009933"> &rsaquo; </font>Brittany which did seem a lit cheaper but we were unsure of how reputable they are. Has anyone had any dealings with them & would recommend them?

Does anyone else know of any good websites for Cottage/gite hire in brittany?
    Does anyone know much about the areas in Brittany?The wedding is near a village called St Pabu & La Mairie area, which I think is in Finistere. We already have a B&B for that part but could move further away for our week in the gite so have looked at other areas- near St Malo, Cote d'armor etc but don't really know which part is best- Any recommendations for a nice area for a hol?
    Sorry so many questions!!! Thanks for any suggestions in advance or should I say 'merci'!!

2. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

Personally, I love the C&ocirc;te de Granit Rose area in C&ocirc;te d'Armor. But then, if you like celtic music, there is a very famous festival (3rd to 12thAugust ) in Lorient every summer but I don't find the Golfe du Morbihan coast as interesting.
    Can't really help for the accomodation though.

3. Merci mon amie. We have had a look at the granit rose area so thanks for the thumbs up. What kind of things/sights do you do in the area?

4. Have seen a nice cottage in Morlaix- is that the the granit rose area/ Cote d'armor area?

5. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

I am a walker and you can tour the whole of Britanny on the GR34.
    I wouldn't recommend swimming unless you can cope with water temperatures below 20.
    There are lots of quaint little villages.
    Eat seafood, cr&ecirc;pes and galettes, drink cider
    Listen to celtic music

6. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

Technically it isn't but you're not far.

7. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Gites de France: mostly French owned properties and inspected regularly. When the French want a gite, that's the company they use. They also have more properties to choose from than anyone else.
    Can't help with Brittany, too far north for me....!

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

You'd have to be a bit wimpy not to go swimming in August.
    We've used Gites De France lots of times, and Owners Direct. They've been problem free and very nice places to stay. I prefer the north coast to the south.

10. We always go with Brittany Ferries as you get a good deal of gite + ferry travel. We've always found the gites to be of a really good standard and they have a great selection

11. I live in Jugon les Lacs, about halfway between Dinan and Lamballe. I think it would be a good idea to find out what interests your group have. There is a road the N176 which runs east west and if you are near that then travel to Mont st Michel or the Granite Rose is easy and quick. So you would be well placed for the going on a "visit" holiday. If on the other hand it's the beach you want then there are many places on the North coast which are superb. If it's the gastronomic France that entices, base yourself nearer the larger towns which have more restaurants, that said there are many very good (they wouldn't survive if they weren't) restaurants out in the countryside.
    Most tourist offices now are on line - search on a map, find a town, look up the tourist office which should list accommodation in the area. Gites de France and Cl&eacute;vacances are labels like AA stars.
    Toprural has many places but in the country, ownersdirect is fine, in that you deal with the owner not an agent, you might find info on a place on Tripadvisor, you might even look there but they do not carry everything as they are expensive to the owners.
    Round here is full of things to do in the summer (a bit bleak at the moment!), Breton music, dancing, jazz, themed festivals etc etc. Could go on but.... bonne visite

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

We had some lovely holidays in Brittany when the children were young, using Brittany Ferries plus gite, as suggested above.
    Our first holiday was in Finist&egrave;re, near B&eacute;nodet. This is the most typically celtic part of the region, where most of the Breton speakers are to be found. We rented a farm cottage from an elderly couple who still worked the farm. They were Breton speakers, and told interesting tales of how they hadn't learnt French until they had started school. He had been a prisoner of war in Silesia and had to walk back to Brittany when the war had ended - really interesting stuff.
    We used to go to the vast expanses of empty beach near Audierne - so unspoilt, virtually empty even in August. I loved all the celtic religious architecture that is to be found in the region. It is well worth a visit.

13. Stayed here a couple of times - very quiet and lovely but near Rochefort and Vannes.
    Can recommend it but depends on which bit of Brittany you want.

http://www.menhir-ty.co.uk/

14. Thank you so much for all your brilliant advice. It's been really helpful. We've decided to go for a small cottage in a small village called Locquirec, nr Morlaix, so not too far from the Granit Rose coast. Getting quite excited now!! From your advice it sounds like there's lots of nice places to visit.Got to wait all the way til August now! If you've been near there & have any places to recommend feel free to share!