1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

good ghost story anyone?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by san38, Jan 26, 2012.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

Just finished 'Dark Matter' & loved it. I like books with ghosts& I like things with snow in& this had both! Atmospheric, creepy&good sense of time. Am missing it already! Anyone got any recommendations please?

2. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

The woman in black -Susan Hill.

3. The Drowning Pool
    The White Devil: A Ghost Story
    The Anatomy of Ghosts - not so much a Ghost story
    The Ghost of Lily Painter

4. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Oh,yes, Just finished the Woman in Black.
    I was scared reading it, so I won't be going to see the film!
    I can't believe it is only rated a 12.

6. Not so much ghost story as just creepy as HELL.... MR James, O Whistle, also EF Benson - the Horror Horn. I literally could not get out of bed for a late night pee after I read that one. It scared the bejeesus out of me.

7. I too have just finished Dark Matter and I would recommend it as a bit of a chiller. It's like anything though, if you read it at the top of the Number 27 on the way to work it won't work. Read it on a dark,quiet night. You will be spooked. I'm not that easily scared by what I read but I would not read this book if I was alone!

8. Anything by M.R. James.

9. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Wish TES would invent a like button! Don't bother with the small hand by susan hill, very poorly written, quite honestly I think it was knocked out for sales off the back of the release of woman in black, very disappointing!xx :-/

10. I have just read "The Greatcoat" by Helen Dunmore. It was published by Hammer.
    It was a great read, and left me a little confused, with a few questions - just like any good thriller should ;)

11. Sepulchre by Kate Mosse
    Not out and out spooky, but it does deal with the dark side and it's an easy read for thr hoildays.

12. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks all. Just re found this post&will be ordering some books. Have to say though I did not like The Greatcoat. Really got on my nerves, rushed through it just to finish.