1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good get to know you games...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Apr 18, 2011.

1. I start in my new Year 1 class after Easter and I am looking for some good get to know you games or activities for my first session. I was wondering if anyone had done anything particularly good?

Thank you xx

2. Personally I would just go in and start as you mean to go on. Spend some time making rules and expectations clear and then straight into things as normal.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Perhaps a circle activity where everyone says their name and something they like /enjoy but I wouldn't labour over "getting to know you" as PFF says.

4. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Circle time is always great for this type of thing. It shows the children that you are interested in every one of them, not just the ones who are confident enough to talk to you straight away, and gives you lots of opportunities to show praise and encouragement so the children will feel safe and secure with you. It also gives you a good opportunity to see who likes to be the centre of attention, who struggles with sitting and listening, who is quiet / shy, etc.
    I would only do this for the first session though, then move into your structured lessons. The children will feel better if they have a clear understanding of the day-to-day expectations you will have in your classroom and the structure for the coming term.
    Good luck and have fun!

5. Ok thank you for your replies ;0)

xxx