1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good/funny/valuable life advice for Sixth form Leavers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Munchkin, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Our rather lovely U6 have a page in their year book for advice. Whtat do you wish somebody had told you at 18? (or maybe they did!)

2. Our rather lovely U6 have a page in their year book for advice. Whtat do you wish somebody had told you at 18? (or maybe they did!)

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Wear sunscreen...

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff

5. Love it. Thank you both (meant to put that on the initial post but was multitasking...and failing!)

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Listen very carefully to all the advice given to you, then ignore three-quarters of it.

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I liked what the Chancellor at my daughter's graduation said:

In the words of Michael Jagger: "You can't always get what you want,,, but if you try.. you just might get what you need."

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Paul O'Grady was the guest speaker at my daughter's graduation ceremony and gave a valuable piece of life advice to the assembled students: Never mix Pernod with Cider.

My own life advice to students consist of three things:

Learn to surf by the age of 21

Visit Venice by the age of 40

Always carry a camera

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

According to some Venetians it'll be too late by then...

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Have you seen the speech Steve Jobs gave at Standford University? That was quite inspirational. Especially the 'don't settle (for something you don't love)'. x

11. This was Bill gates advice to some American school leavers. Not very funny, bit harsh but true.
    Rule 1. Life is not fair-get used to it!

Rule 2. The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3. You will not make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone-until you earn both.

Rule 4. If you think your teacher is tough-wait till you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.

Rule 5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a word for burger flipping-they called it opportunity.

Rule 6. If you mess up-it's not your parent's fault-so don't whine about your mistakes-learn from them.

Rule 7. Before your were born-your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills-cleaning your clothes-and listening about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation-try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8. Your school may have done away with winners and losers-but life has not. In some schools they have done away with failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to anything in real life.

Rule 9. Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers and Christmas break off-and few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10. Television is not real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11. Be nice to nerds-chances are you'll end up working for one.

12. I'll try again!!

This was Bill gates advice to some American school leavers. Not very funny, bit harsh but true.
    Rule 1. Life is not fair-get used to it!

Rule 2. The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3. You will not make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone-until you earn both.

Rule 4. If you think your teacher is tough-wait till you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.

Rule 5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a word for burger flipping-they called it opportunity.

Rule 6. If you mess up-it's not your parent's fault-so don't whine about your mistakes-learn from them.

Rule 7. Before your were born-your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills-cleaning your clothes-and listening about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation-try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8. Your school may have done away with winners and losers-but life has not. In some schools they have done away with failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to anything in real life.

Rule 9. Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers and Christmas break off-and few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10. Television is not real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11. Be nice to nerds-chances are you'll end up working for one.

13. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

How come speeches such as this have to wait until the sixth formers leave?

14. Saz, I want to print that off and stick it on my classroom wall!
    When I was at school I had an amazing RE teacher. She left at the end of my year 12, and made all of her A Level Philosophy group a card with good quotes on it. I still have it stuck on my wall, 11 years later.
    My favourite advice from it is:
    Better to have tried all things and found them wanting than never to have tried at all (not sure of the source... the card says an unspecified Bronte!)
    Good luck, work hard and remember that above all, this is meant to be fun - if you cease to enjoy something then try and change things if you can - either it or yourself (name of teacher).
    I've always tried to stick by those excellent two pieces of advice, and they've stood me in pretty good stead so far.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Polonius said it
    "To thine own self be true ...."
    I interpret that as be honest with yourself. You can ******** the others out there as much as you like but don't try and kid yourself.

16. I wish someone had told me to treat myself as kindly as I would a friend.

17. Thank you very much, these are exactly what I was hoping for. In response to the poster who wanted to know why wait until they leave....we haven't....but they wanted some (more) for their year book. Perhaps they have listened more than we thought they did!(unlikely!)
    I very rarely post on here but lurk a great deal as I find some people give excellent advice. Thank you for taking the time to give me the benefit of your collective wisdom and humour. Please keep them coming...if you don't mind.

18. If you dread the thought of going into work every morning find a new career. Better to enjoy your work and live a simpler life than do something you hate for the sake of more money.

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

This won't fit as advice in their year book but my sixth formers have thoroughly enjoyed being read Dr Seuss's "Oh the places you'll go" as part of their final assembly.
    There are plenty of good quotes throughout it : http://www.teamhope.com/seuss.htm

20. 1. Buy the best iron you can afford
    2. In the end, all that matters is that you're happy being you.