1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good dinners, bad dinners.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Nov 5, 2019.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

On a regular night, I'm capable of cooking some very nice dinners. I'm not a bad cook (like most people who are the main care-givers) and I like to try out different recipes. Lately, I've been all about Thai street food/green curries, that kind of thing.

On a night like tonight though, where I haven't been grocery shopping and I feel like a slug, I'll make some sort of boring pasta bolognese dish, which I won't even eat myself (to me, pasta's student food. My husband and kid quite like it though.)
    What are your two opposing dinner dishes? (Good vs can't be ar**d.)

primarycat likes this.
  2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

My good dinner is the Sunday roast - in which I excel, if I say so myself. However, that leaves six days of ready meals, pasta dishes, pizzas,etc. So my ratio of good to bad is pretty poor.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

There are days when I'd kill for a microwave oven.

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Fish fingers, chips and mushy peas, tonight.

Sort of CBA food, but I'll like it.

Mr D never complains about what is put before him. He doesn't cook, so he wouldn't dare.:eek:

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good topic for debate.
    I have a great variety of 'quick and easy' bung-it-all-in-one-pot meals, which more or less cook themselves.

When I'm going for 'that something special' I usually look at Continental recipes, so French or Italian cuisine or German cooking. As people often remark German cooking can hardly be called ' high cuisine' ;), but it is what I grew up on and therefore familiar.

towncryer, coffeekid and primarycat like this.
  6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I can't be a*s*d a lot. I am a good cook and always have been from starting at age 16 ish (back in the last century) but lately I can't give a stuff. I roasted a chicken tonight and just had some of the breast on butties. I had thought it is pea'n'am soup weather but Morrinsons didn't have any sham hanks :(. I might have a go a that Mister Stroni soup with stock from the pork shank I got instead. (Its not the same, want winter comfort food.)

primarycat likes this.
  7. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

In which camp do oven chips belong?

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I made Chilli tonight and it was lovely. My CBA dinner is bangers and mash with frozen peas - I love it!

9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I like trying recipes out so I don't think a have a standard good meal. Of I've got people round I like doing a mix of Persian, Turkish, Lebanese sorts of things. A big lamb dish and lots of salads and side dishes. But I like cooking Chinese food, Italian, Thai...

I'm not keen on pastry and bread making. The one time we had to abandon what I'd cooked and go out for supper wax an inedible attempt at Turkish pizzas.

I'll cook easy stuff if I'm tired or busy but it's still decent food. if I really cant face it I get a take away. Or a ready meal. Like tonight and tomorrow.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My cooking's been a cross between lightweight camping and undergraduate economy all my life - it's never evolved.

I haven't a clue how to use an oven for anything other than applying heat to stuff I've bought in a packet, and I've never knowingly used a recipe.

A good meal for me is anything with more than two ingredients cooked in a frying pan, plus two veg and carbs. My CBA meal is off the shelf pizza and coleslaw.

The most exotic food I ever had a hand in was a venison haunch cooked in a beach oven made of boulders and lined with seaweed, but that was under supervision on an outdoor course. I'd butchered the deer beforehand too. We literally started with an expired deer and ended up with an evening meal. No point in hiding from grisly reality if you're a meat eater by choice.

Fortunately Mrs MSB does most of the main meals in our household. I do the dishwasher.

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I tried Gousto - my goto now is risotto or grilled salmon. I find stir fry with prawns the best fast food.

12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Toast... Vs
    Ditto stir fry, had grilled salmon last night but don't use Gousto.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I rarely can be ar $ ed in the week. During weekends and holidays I batch cook stews, soups, curries and chilli and put two helpings at a time in the freezer. Then it's just a question of cooking some rice or pasta and reheating it.

My least fave weekly meal is salmon fillets with asparagus and lentils. We have it every week because a helping of oily fish a week is good for you. Favourites are my chilli or Turkish pizza which is spicy, garlicky lamb mince on a naan bread.

14. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

My CBA dinner is jacket potatoes, cheese and beans, cheese and coleslaw, tuna and rocket, I never, ever get bored of them!

silkywave, towncryer, caress and 5 others like this.
  15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Had a really bad dinner just now: Aunt Bessie’s crinkle cut oven chips with some tzezeki in lieu of mayo and a slice of ham. Not proud of such slothfulness, but it was tasty!
    My husband went healthier, with some soup.
    I’m not a keen cook. My husband is a good cook and enjoys it, so he cooks more than I do. For a special meal he likes his classic French cookbook or Ottolenghi.

16. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Ooh Ottolenghi! Some great recipes there.

17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Well CBA is usually if I am home alone and can't be bothered to make a mess. Last week's CBA was a tin of mackerel fillets in spicy tomato sauce mixed into pasta spirals. Surprisingly tasty and quite filling.

My good can be quite varied from elaborate salads, paella, roasts, fish curries etc.

I don't think they are opposing though, just a reflection of the day and attitude.

BertieBassett2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

Good food - lentil dahl and cauliflower rice ( i'm just about vegan and it's cheap and nutritious) and CBA- baked beans.

19. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Youngest is away next week from Tuesday to Friday. I can safely say I won’t cook once. I might do a toasted sandwich if I’m feeling really desperate.

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I make elaborate meals even if I'm in on my own. I don't really like eating any calories that aren't delicious and enjoyable. I don't eat things that aren't nice just to fill myself up. But I do love a Fray Bentos pie every couple of years. I guess that would be my bad dinner. Everything else we eat would be a good one. Tonight we had very chunky minestrone and cheese scones, and pear and caramel muffins. Fifteen of my five a day!

towncryer, Norsemaid, caress and 2 others like this.