1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good cookery book for meat

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RJR_38, Dec 29, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I am finally moving in with partner in 2 1/2 weeks (yay!!!) and my main job will be to reduce the food bill as he spends an obscene amount as he lives on posh 'ready meals' so to speak. I cook lots from scratch but where I am happy to only have meat 2-3 times a week he will demand meat or fish every day which will obviously put the cost up.
    We have what looks to be a lovely butcher just round the corner from us so I hope to use him lots but I don't really know much about which cuts of meat are best cooked in which way (if that makes sense). At the moment I tend to buy the best cuts as I have it less often.
    Does anyone know of a good cookery book that tells you this kind of basic information? I don't necessarily need recipes as such but more things such as: a shoulder of pork is best slowly roasted whereas a leg can be done higher and faster etc (I have made that up).
    I have looked through my Nigel Slater books (who I can usually rely on) but he tends to focus on veg in the books have..........

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I think Hugh Fearnely-Whittingstall wrote one called 'Meat'. Not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for but worthe checking out.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have found Leith's Meat Bible invaluable - it covers everything.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leiths-Meat-Bible-Max-Clark/dp/0747590478/ref=pd_sim_b_35
    I think there are several posters on this forum who will sympathise with you! Mr EG has gotten better at this but still sometimes makes faces!!! Good luck!

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

EG - that book looks perfect!! I had £20 of amazon vouchers sitting there waiting to be used so it seemed silly not to put them to good use... lol

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

There's the River Cottage meat book, which has exactly the sort of advice you're looking for and it's £19.20 on Amazon now!

6. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks to those who suggested the River Cottage book - I had a look but I have his new veg book and was actually quite disappointed by it so I have decided to steer away from his meat book for now and opted for the Leith's book. Thats not to say I won't cave in and buy it eventually...

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Prue Leith was my judge on Masterchef. Scary woman but she did say I was a very good cook and she'd be proud to have me cook for her anyday!

8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Proof I spend too much time on facebook.... I was just about to *like* your comment belle lol!