1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good circle games like duck duck goose/honeypot

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mmgirish, Oct 10, 2007.

1. mmgirish

mmgirish New commenter

Hey there I teach nursery and would like to teach my kids some more circle games. They already know and love duck duck goose and the honeypot game. Does anyone know any others?? I would really appreciate any suggestions!
    Thanks
    XXX

2. mmgirish

mmgirish New commenter

Hey there I teach nursery and would like to teach my kids some more circle games. They already know and love duck duck goose and the honeypot game. Does anyone know any others?? I would really appreciate any suggestions!
    Thanks
    XXX

3. the farmer wants a wife:

choose a farmer to stand in the middle of the circle. All hold hands and walk around him/her (still in circle,) singing: the farmer wants a wife, the farmer wants a wife, e i e i the farmer wants a wife. the farmer then chooses a wife (or a husband) to join him/her in the circle.

repeat for the wife wants a child, the child wants a nurse/nanny, the nurse/nanny wants a dog and then the dog wants a bone. each time the last child chooses who to join them in the center of the circle.

going to the fair:

sit in a circle. choose a senior/seniorita to stand in the middle.
    sing: we're going to the country, we're going to the fair to see a senior/seniorita with flowers in his/her hair. oh shake it, shake it, shake it, oh shake it if you can (child in center shakes body) and turmn around and turn around until you make a stop. (child turns around and STOPS and points to the next senior/seniorita to take their turn.) repeat with next child.

hope that helps :)

4. How do you play duck duck goose/ honeypot game ?

Farmers game can be extended by saying the dog wants a cat, the cat wants a mouse, the mouse wants some cheese (puts more children into the centre of the circle). We all pat the cheese to end.

5. For duck duck goose, children sit in a circle, one child goes around edge of circle and taps each cild on the head saying duck to each child. When he/she says goose, that child stands up and chases the other around circle until he catches him/her or the first child sits down in the circle. Then the'goose' takes his turn.

6. Sounds like a lot of fun!

7. This is an English version of a Spanish circle game my young students taught me. I hope it helps.

http://misslucysteachingfun.blogspot.com.es/2012/05/circle-games-shoe-behind-you.html

My Spanish students know a circle game called "La zapatilla por detrás".
    I persuaded them to play it in English introducing some little changes to the original one and I made the most of it to teach the next concept for my classes: Time.

This is how it works:

- Arrange your class in a circle. Everyone is sitting on the floor except for one of them, who stands holding a shoe in his/her hand.
    Let's call him Carlos, to simplify.

- Carlos starts walking around the circle with the shoe while the class is singing a chant. I personally chose

8. This is an English version of a Spanish circle game my young students taught me. I hope it helps.

http://misslucysteachingfun.blogspot.com.es/2012/05/circle-games-shoe-behind-you.html

My Spanish students know a circle game called "La zapatilla por detrás".
    I persuaded them to play it in English introducing some little changes to the original one and I made the most of it to teach the next concept for my classes: Time.

This is how it works:

- Arrange your class in a circle. Everyone is sitting on the floor except for one of them, who stands holding a shoe in his/her hand.
    Let's call him Carlos, to simplify.

- Carlos starts walking around the circle with the shoe while the class is singing a chant. I personally chose....