1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good Children's Authors in schools.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, Nov 7, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter

2. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

We had Alan Gibbons come in to ours.
    Our school had been involved in a Library scheme called "Our Best Book." We had 25 books brought into school by the library, the children had to look through the books and get a general gist, then vote on their top 5. School then received a set of each of the top 5 books (as voted across the whole city.) We were gievn the opportunity to do a presentation about our favourite book and present it at an award ceremony where three authors attended from the top 5.
    The three authors that attened were Gene Kemp, Guy Bass and Alan Gibbons.
    We were then lucky enough to have a school visit from the winning author Mr Gibbons (the book the children voted unanimously on was called The Dying Photo)
    He gave such a great talk at school. Honestly, even as an adult I just sat laughing almost to the point of tears about his stories. The kids asked fab questions as they were so enthused!

The other author at the talk, Guy Bass, was also fantastic! Both kept the children engaged, added lots of humour, but also gave the children lots of great tips and gave them lots of opportunity to ask questions.

3. Thanks for those suggestions, I like Alan Gibbons' writing. Any more ideas?!

4. What is the ballpark cost of getting an author in?

5. I have emailed oup - publishers as their website suggests they have authors available... I am awaiting a reply!

6. I have booked many different authors for school - Steve Smallman was excellent and very very flexible (and I love the portrait he did of me that I didn't leave with the school when I left) but by far the best author we ever booked was the Fire Poet - Phillip Wells. He managed a whole school assembly enthralling everyone from reception to the teachers. After he left several children kept writing him letters via me discussing how to become authors and bless him he replied to everyone, even more than a year later when one girl wrote to him about winning a writing competition.
    He uses music to help teach sentence structure (an idea I have since nicked shamelessly and found everyone that sees it loves the idea) and works really well with EAL / SEN kids. Google Fire poet and you'll find him!

7. Ed Wicke is fab... My kids are still talking about a visit before the summer holidays.
    If you're in Hants, Berks or Surrey he usually comes free of charge in exchange for a chance to sell autographed books.
    And Ed's autographs are works of art in their own right!!!
    http://www.contactanauthor.co.uk/authorpage.php?id=688
    C x

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Paul Cookson came in to our school and recited some of his poems over 3 assemblies: KS1, Yrs 3&4, Yrs 5&6, adjusting the content accordingly (with, gratifyingly, a few 'over their heads' jokes thrown in for adults!)
    I only caught the Y5&6 session but he was incredibly good. Children and adults in tears of laughter for an hour solid is always going to be a good thing.
    Thoroughly nice bloke as well - he hung around for most of the day and chatted to anyone who'd talk to him.

9. Valerie Bloom was incredible. She did poetry workshops with several individual classes (year4) Even reluctant writers produced some awesome work and they were so proud.
    then she did a whole school assembly. She had all the children enthralled. Unfortunatley I missed the assembly as I had a parent meeting. I was gutted to miss it.

10. Kes Gray (author of the Daisy books, eat your peas etc) came in, he was fantastic, he doesn't charge but he does request that you buy a copy of Fizzbomb A Sparkling Concoction of Children's Stories which costs £100. While he was at school he also gave the children opportunities to win more books for the library.

http://www.kesgray.com/mybooks-overview.php
    http://www.kesgray.com/schoolvisits.php

11. Finally found the time to look into this further, thank you for your suggestions. I am in the West Midlands - so fairly central!