1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good books for teaching?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by daenarys, Dec 29, 2011.

1. I'd really appreciate any recommendations for good books aimed at NQTs and primary teaching in general.
    I'm a founding director of a small private school in the Pacific, and I employ two locally trained teaching staff who have never delivered the English national curriculum before. They're both keen to build on their knowledge of primary teaching in Western teaching styles and I've promised to get them some good no-nonsense books that won't take them a term to read. Please help! [​IMG]

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well I'm currently reading 'How to be an outstanding primary teacher' and loving it. I've read it since Christmas day and am now on the reading and making notes stage, so it is definitely a quick read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outstanding-Primary-School-Teacher-Teaching/dp/1441138412/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325172098&sr=8-1

Also any of the 'You Can...' series are brilliant for in class immediate ideas. And for whole school ideas which would also help you. Below is a link to one of the series, but the rest are listed just underneath.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Have-Creative-Classroom-Ages/dp/0439945348/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325172168&sr=1-2

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Try the lazy teacher's handbook - available on Amazon. Easy to read and very good for child initiated learning. Definately KS2 - 3 though and you'd probably need to have a couple of yeqars experience to make the most of it. A good read though and my year 6's are loving the strategies I have used on them so far.