1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

good books for a two year old?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by mac78, Aug 23, 2011.

1. We need some new books and I keep finding myself wanting to buy all my childhood favourites because I haven't got time to browse through all the tat in the bookshop, or a patient enough toddler - The Tiger Who Came to Tea, Peepo, Mr Gumpy's Outing, Meg and Mog etc. There must be other stuff out there!
    More modern stuff I have come across (besides the very obvious - the Gruffalo etc)- we love What the Ladybird Heard (more Julia Donaldson), Beware of the Frog (William Bee), Hairy Maclary...
    Any other suggestions? (Besides go to the library - which must be the most sensible!)

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son, who was 2 in June, loves all the Julia Donaldson books, so The Gruffalo (of course), Gruffalo's Child, Tiddler, The Snail and the Whale, Freddie and the Fairy etc
    At the moment he seems to prefer books like '100 first words', he likes us to test him on them and ask him to point to all the pictures. We also have counting books which he loves, and flashcards with numbers/pictures on them.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Definitely get to the library - the biggest change there since I was a kid is that you can have 12 books at once instead of 3, making the trip much more useful. We explored loads of books at the library, and then knew what would go down well.
    Bookshops don't work with toddlers (especially mine, as she thought it was a library and wanted to read the books), but second-hand bookshops are better - you don't have to worry as much about the child handling the books.

4. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

My daughter got a lovely book for her 2nd birthday called Sharing a Shell which she loves.

Also we've got a collection of the original Ladybird books (Gingerbread Man, Little Red Riding Hood, The Enormous Turnip etc) - most of which we bought for a penny off Ebay - and she absolutely loves being read these.

Another advocate of the library here too though!

5. Got to agree- Ladybird collection off ebay is great (watch out for delivery costs and the addictive nature of instant purchasing).
    Other book ideas:
    Elmers friends, Each Peach Pear Plum, The Tiger who Came to Tea, The Hungry Caterpillar, Jamberry are some of my girls favourites. Mine love all the ladybird ones. Favourite at the moment is 3 bears.
    Any pics of animals, put them on the wall (rather than in a book form)
    so it makes a pathway to the bedroom saying animal names and sounds.You can keep changing these.
    I am big fan of the library for kids to choose and explore the kinds of story and pictures that suit their imaginations.

6. I heartily recommend 'Tyrannysaurus Drip' by the Gruffalo woman. I laughed out loud when I read it to my daughter, and the illustrations are sooooo-perb. Very funny.
    The Snail and the Whale is also excellent. I cry sometimes when I read it. Depending on how much wine I've had...

7. Thanks ladies, I really will go to the library soon... just making a huge shopping list on amazon too - although it still seems to be dominated by my childhood favourites.
    BTW I love Owl Babies, and Pig in the Pond, and Farmer Duck all by Martin Waddell (the CD version of Pig in the Pond with Harry Enfield reading it is fab for the car too)