1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good board, good people but time to ignore ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Aug 9, 2020.

1. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

Jamvic and red_observer like this.
  2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Jamvic and rararasputin like this.
  3. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

I only argue on here if I am enjoying it and the other person is enjoying it. If I am not enjoying it any more I stop, and if I don't think the other person is enjoying it I stop. If people want to keep arguing and I don't, then I use "Ignore". Every now and then I go to my profile and unignore everyone again. Some people only stay unignored for a very short spell though!

Any one thinks sneering at me ( or anyone else) for being dyslexic is a valid contribution to any discussion, that's an automatic trip into the ignore bin.:p

elder_cat and red_observer like this.
  4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Yep, when your current broadband or mobile phone subscriptions runs out, join EE. Otherwise, you can pay £5.99 a month for Britbox, which I don't think is worth it, as it's mainly programmes/repeats you could be watching for free on BBC 1-4, ITV 1-3, Channel 4-5 etc. I'm only interested in getting it because it's free.

I believe the best deal out of Amazon, NowTV and Netflix, is Netflix because you can watch TV programmes and movies.

Google, 'What to watch on Britbox, NowTV etc. in August or now,' to find out what is worth watching.

You could become a 'paid for streaming services tart,':confused: i.e. just paying for one month, watching what's good on that streaming service and moving on to another.;)

stopwatch, Jamvic and red_observer like this.
  5. red_observer

Lovely, thank you.

Jamvic likes this.
  6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

OOPS!;)

alex_teccy likes this.
  7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Others have got there first with excellent explanations.

8. red_observer

?

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I meant that excellent and helpful posts/links #59 onwards explain/provide information on how you can access Britbox. I see you must have read them as you have politely thanked people.

red_observer likes this.
  10. red_observer

Sorry misread you. Thank you and yes they are very helpful for this techno dumb head!

11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'm not sure if sinking to the level of the person name calling and being rude is actually justified if the critique is of original inappropriateness, I'd like to think rising above it is the preference, personally I try to avoid name calling, it simply isn't nice so why do it as part of a critique of someone else who isn't playing nice (assuming you know who started it)? *it sounds like a primary playground so is another reason to cease and desist with the online abuse/name calling/offence.

That said it isn't easy to resist temptation to retaliate, it takes the bigger person and as I've said we've all at some point caused upset even if unwittingly.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    stopwatch likes this.
  12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I like to get my retaliation in first;)

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I'm not sure if I wrote my reply clearly, but I agree with what you are saying and this was the point which I was trying to make - that it is better not to sink to an equal level of abuse/rudeness, thanks.

needabreak likes this.
  14. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

So, here's a question - my wife and I both have an EE mobile SIM only contract. My wife is due to renew hers this week.
    Firstly, does this mean we are eligible for the Britbox 6 months free?
    Secondly, can we both claim it?
    Thirdly, I assume that we don't need a 'box' or equipment to sign up - is this correct?
    Finally, I assume we just call EE to arrange. Is this correct?
    Thanks for your help

15. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Can't answer all of the questions only that regarding equipment.

Some Smart TVs apparently have it already installed, you can get it on some box sets and you can use it via chromecast, PC, Apple etc. Re the wife and yourself getting 6 months each, and whether you can get it only with a mobile contract, you have to ring them up and ask and please tell us what they say. Getting a year's Britbox free sounds got to me, if that's what rocks your boat.

I haven't bothered to ring up about it, only looked online because I am not interested in watching repeats.

Here are some more details I've found:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news...box-sets-streaming-service-release-date-price

stopwatch likes this.
  16. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Thank you @catbefriender

catbefriender likes this.
  17. red_observer

Two more right wing nasties put on ignore I’m seeing a process now but the forum has been so much more pleasant since I’ve started to do this.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It took me a while to see the light too. Sometimes I do lose the plot a bit when someone responds to one of my ignorees with what superficially looks like a random message, but IMHO it does not make their contribution any more worthwhile for me to read. If I occasionally press the "see ignored posts" I see nowt of interest.

red_observer likes this.
  19. red_observer

I look at their “joined date” and then they rarely respond anyway m. So I have 6 on ignore now but I feel happier. There are still many Rightists in this forum but they are mostly pleasant and friendly... like me :)

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Well, that'll extend your moderation.