1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good board, good people but time to ignore ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Aug 9, 2020.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I think I was and it was hostile indeed.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I am an innocent abroad.

needabreak and artboyusa like this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Just because I mentioned swing Rac there's no need to be defensive. :D:D:D

4. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Curses - I've been found out.

bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Sadly, there seems to be nastiness on both (all?) sides. Is it since social media was invented? Or has it always been this way? More people seem to rush to snap judgments these days.

6. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm a big fan of swing, not my style when a youth but it began to appeal more as I got older.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Agreed, it is not right that people are offensive and the right to reply is one option which I wouldn't question. I would question whether replying in a way which could be considered equally offensive is equally wrong, rather than trying to maintain a more reasonable tone (not always easy I know from experience!).

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

My comment was questioning the tone of the response/language used, more than the questioning of somebodies level of education.
    I realise that context is important, but it doesn't mean that there aren't modes of language which aren't acceptable, regardless.
    Would you really use the word 'stupid' for example?

alex_teccy and Oscillatingass like this.
  10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@red_observer Remember, whenever you fight with pigs you will always get dirty.:oops:

And on an aside, many with a narcissist personality disorder, who can not understand the right of others to have differing viewpoints or needs etc. perceive people who are not responding to their nonsenses as a sign that they are right. In fact, they believe they can only be right. They don't hold viewpoints, which can be changed but only convictions. They do not have the ability to comprehend or even envisage that some people simply are not responding to them, not because they are right, but because doing so is an incessant waste of their time on this earth.

There is so much good stuff to watch on Netflix and iplayers these days.;)

This was a jolly old forum once, but it has been tainted of late. There used to be magically people who could pop on to a heated forum and disperse it.:)

But alas, they have gone.:(

red_observer likes this.
  11. red_observer

Good post @catbefriender and I agree with you.
    I’m trying to be nice... honest!

I d tried Netflix but there’s not much I like on there tbh.

12. catbefriender

There are some good documentaries and also loads of nonsensical escapist drama, with the archetypal plot of, 'The thingie, which could destroy the world or just Chicagoo_O, which the Russians, Chinese etc have, has to be and destroyed within a few hours.' Films the likes Tom Cruise and others excel in.

It's good to watch high quality nonsense TV because it gives the brain a much needed break.

red_observer likes this.
  13. red_observer

thank you. I was looking at this Britbox thinggy... what is it do you know ?

14. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Agreed. There are some good documentaries and also lots of good movies. I’ve certainly got my moneysworth over the last 2 years.

I would say though, that there are a lot of crime documentaries, probably more than any other genre/subject.

catbefriender likes this.
  15. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I believe it is a streaming service, primarily with a lot of ‘old but goldy’ British series (comedy, drama, documentaries etc).
    News is that the new version of Spitting Image is only going to be available on Britbox. One good reason to get it.

16. red_observer

Thanks @stopwatch so it’s on line is it? I heard that Spitting Image was coming back. Used to live that.

catbefriender likes this.
  17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

It’s free for six months if you get your phone or broadband via EE. No obligation to continue with it after the six months is done either.

Attached Files:

ilovesooty and red_observer like this.
  18. red_observer

Thank you @Jamvic ... so you go where to get it? Pardon my stupidity.

Jamvic likes this.
  19. catbefriender

Jamvic likes this.
  20. red_observer