1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good board, good people but time to ignore ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Aug 9, 2020.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I think if you said to me “How uneducated are you?”, it wouldn’t really matter what the context was. I would just see it as a rude, unnecessary, remark. Similarly, some of the other examples that @asnac has given.
    It is sometimes hard to be reasonable and polite towards people, I know, but context can’t always be used as a reason to say some things.
    I think I have probably had about 4 ‘spats’ with people on this site, over a period of around 12 years, but I don’t think I have been regularly, overtly, rude as, at that point you have lost the argument.
    As far as the ‘ignore’ button is concerned, I haven’t used this. However, there is one poster who I have recently decided to ignore by reading past his posts, or more specifically, not responding to his posts. I think this is a better way of doing, personally. I would imagine that if you clicked ‘ignore’ on too many people, you would perhaps lose the fluency of some threads in the process.

2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Fair enough @stopwatch but all I’m saying is I’m not putting up with offensive comments from others so I either respond or ignore.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

[​IMG]

needabreak likes this.
  4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

You shouldn't have to tolerate offensive personal abuse Red, none of us should that's why I don't hold with name calling (you may have noticed), though the either respond or ignore (you could add report if it really is unacceptable) is pretty much a given ;):D:D:D

red_observer likes this.
  5. red_observer

I’ve always tried to stand up for myself so it’s in my character. I don’t mean to offend anyone and I may have inflamed things now and then but my nature is actually to try to play nice.

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i don't ignore people i disagree with, necessarily, but the ones who wouldn't agree with anyone except themselves, pretty much.

foxtail3 and friedgreentomatoes like this.
  7. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Everything needs to be taken in context. There aren't enough learning hours in the human life to be educated in everything. It's perfectly justifyable to ask an astropysicist how stupid they are if they lack the knowledge of how to stop a tap dripping.

If a plumber who knows nothing about astrophysics tells an astrophysicist he's stupid, because his reseach never took into account what his horoscope said, you know there's a disconnect going on.

needabreak likes this.
  8. red_observer

If you go into a pub you don’t argue with everyone but usually your mates. Anyone else who interferes is ignored or treated with respect. It’s the same here.

9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I try to be tolerant of people's posts and accept that people will have different opinions from me. That's good and leads to healthy discussion. You learn from each other and people should be allowed to express their views without fear of retribution.Often it's not what is said, but the way in which it is said that seems to cause upset and offence. Folk should agree to disagree in a polite and adult manner. I can't abide people being rude. I have been posting since 2006 and have only ever felt the need to ignore one poster.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    install, stopwatch, foxtail3 and 4 others like this.
  10. red_observer

There is a tone on the board of more rude posters than when I first joined.

catbefriender likes this.
  11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Any poster with the strong whiff of Q-Anon or 4-Chan (perhaps 8-Chan) eventually gets snoozed. I apologise for nothing.

12. red_observer

I assume that’s coffee?!!!

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

LOL, no. Q-Anon and 4-Chan is not coffee.

15. red_observer

You’ve lost me then!

catbefriender and needabreak like this.
  16. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Hi Stoopers
    How’s the allotment

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Well, there's always Google... ;-)

catbefriender likes this.
  18. red_observer

Thank you!

19. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Screenshot_20200809-200409-01.jpeg

20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

You didn't spend much time on Opinion then... my recollection was it was not welcoming unless you were easily identifiable as towing one or other party line... or perhaps the clique Rac speaks of were in full swing.

red_observer likes this.