1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good board, good people but time to ignore ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Aug 9, 2020.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Been here since 2005 I think... never ignored anyone before today. Now I have got 4 on ignore. It’s sad but it’s not something thAtI want to eat away at me. Plenty of healthy debate with many on here who I dont agree with and vice versa but I’m just going to do that from now on. I want to debate and be better informed and I sometimes am even from those on the centre Right. By the way it won’t just be those I will ignore either..

emerald52 likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

There's nothing here. Just a blank thread.

upload_2020-8-9_15-50-4.png

drvs and alex_teccy like this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You may find it difficult to follow threads with so many on ignore. I have only one on ignore and even that can sometimes be a problem as unignored people say things that make little sense without the ignored messages.

That be the problem. :D

4. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

You need to be more flexible, you've lost the debate in a few threads over the last day so you need do one of two things:
    1) Agree to disagree. More people read threads than post, so hope your points won some people over.
    2) Change or moderate your opinion. Maybe if so many people are bringing up multiple ways in which they think you are wrong, you may actually be wrong?

5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It’s also possible that what @red_observer sees as extreme right would be seen by many as centre right; in the same way, some people on the right will see some of the moderate left as the extreme left. We are all influenced by our beliefs and biases.

6. red_observer

I don’t even care much of people are on the Right it’s just the unpleasantness and nastiness of those posters that I can’t abide. Hope it clears it up.

7. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

Yeah I've seen an increasing number of people do this.

I don't know if they are serious or if it's on purpose to associate opponents with evil people so you don't need to address what they are saying.

How pleasant would you rate your own posts?

8. red_observer

I try to be pleasant at all times. Really do. Then when the spark goes I meet fire with fire. Sorry

9. red_observer

Let’s try again then ok?

10. red_observer

I’ve lasted the pace of time so far and find this a really warm board full of good sensible and very intelligent and knowledgeable people. It’s just my decision not to engage with nasty folk because I don’t need to.

11. LondonCanary

I think you meet fire with ignore.

12. LondonCanary

:confused:

13. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

I've never crossed swords with you AFAIK but have just been looking at your posting history.

In the last hour alone:
    "Insulting remark"
    "How uneducated are you?"
    "Charlatan and everything else ugly in human beings. Johnson fits the bill"
    "Just put my fourth person on ignore. It should be a nice board here in a few days once I’ve got rid of the rubbish on my time line."
    "Grow up and stop trowelling."

If other posters applied your criteria for ignoring, you'd be posting in a vacuum.

14. red_observer

Context. Look at it. And you didn’t quote the reasons for my responses to be fair. But I note your observation .

needabreak likes this.
  15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I seem to have missed a lot of the disputes recently posted and I'm pleased about that, you are probably right that there's no point engaging with people who label others and get personal in response to views posted, but remember we all lose it sometimes and things get intense here in the holidays, when your back to work you will be far too busy to care and the boards are sometimes useful informative and supportive places when religion, race, sexuality and politics are just left out of it.

16. red_observer

Nice post totally agree

needabreak likes this.
  17. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Yep. Never ignored anyone, because I enjoy the cut and thrust of debate and even the occasional roast.

I’ve been around since 2005 and made one report. One, when that Christmas dog guy said my politics were down to the fact that I had been sexually abused as a child.
    I still got a hard time from hbf for saying I’d reported it.

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agreed. A fine post.

Mind you, on these boards it is possible to start a post on whether Euglena viridis is a plant or an animal, the exact shade of ginger of Ed Sheeran's hair, the best beer/curry combination for a Friday evening in August or the advance of Ash Die-back in the New Forest and you know damn well that some posters (names withheld) will wade in, hijack the thread and use it to bleat incessantly about Johnson, Thatcher, climate change, Brexit, BLM or whatever.

I think that some of the posters on these forums must lead tragically bitter existences.

19. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Great post.

alex_teccy and nomad like this.
  20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Wish I'd made sure it was you're not your... it might have upset a few out there, oops... ho hum.

EmanuelShadrack and ajrowing like this.