1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good AS/A-level Speakers??

Discussion in 'History' started by bellap, May 2, 2012.

1. Hi, does anyone know of good speakers to have in to talk for 40 minutes to an hour to sixth form students? I am trying to get our school's history society up and running after a period in the doldrums...
    AS Crusades would be particularly relevant, but anything on Warfare, Napoleon, British Empire or Russia would also be good...

Thanks
    Bella

2. Hi, does anyone know of good speakers to have in to talk for 40 minutes to an hour to sixth form students? I am trying to get our school's history society up and running after a period in the doldrums...
    AS Crusades would be particularly relevant, but anything on Warfare, Napoleon, British Empire or Russia would also be good...

Thanks
    Bella

3. Whereabouts in the country are you, Bella?

4. Midlands
    Thanks
    Bellap

5. You need to do your research on who writes on what and then email them. That's what I do. But you also need to make it worth their while usually: payment, meal after, somewhere to spend the night if required.

6. We have been very lucky to have Andrew Jotishcky from Lancaster University come and speak about the crusades and Jonathan Phillips from Royal Holloway. We contacted them both through their university emails. Falttery always works as does a willingness to cover travelling expenses.