1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good art ideas linked with Ancient Egyptian

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Massey118, Feb 21, 2012.

1. I am looking for some inspirational ideas for art linked with the Egyptians. I have some good ideas for D&T, like making canopic jars, masks, sarcohagus.
    However I am finding it harder to get imaginative ideas for art beside creating your own egyptian god and drawing it.

Thanks

2. Try this book from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Egyptian-Things-Make-Activity-Books/dp/1409538923/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329854138&sr=8-3

3. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Hi
    I love Ancient Egytian topic - we did oil pastel drawings of eqyptian gods on brown paper, to look like wall paintings (we based them on the ********** pics, which are fab).
    They also alarmed a shoe box in DT, which we covered in pale brown sugar paper and then they copied egyptian hieroglyphics, gods, wall paintings, scarab beetles and used quickprint to print all over the box to make it like an egyptian tomb. They had to get the sized right so they'd fit side by side ad do some long thin ones to go round edge of box lid. Was good.
    Also made clay amulets and then clay coil puts with lids like canopic jars.
    And wax relief sarcophagus, outline, detailed colourful wax crayon/oil pastel patterns/designs and dark colour over so it stood out.
    It's a great topic for art!

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we attempted to draw people the way the egyptians drew them. we also made our own versions of the rosetta stone (they got quite obsessed with that!)

5. We made death masks using modrock, 1st we papier mached a balloon, then cut out a headdress shape from card, stuck it on the back and covered the whole thing with modrock. When they were painted they looked really good...was a bit messy though! We also did hieroglyph scrolls and aged them with tea bags. Finished off the topic with a pyramid building competition as homework (it's amazing how creative some parents can be) you got the standard lego ones, Some were cardboard with a side that opened to reveal the tomb, one was made from cupcakes, we had a jellycube pyramid, even a custard pyramid. After they were exhibited to parents, the Head and chair of Governers chose some winners and awarded them with an egyptian book each.