1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

good and bad teaching and learning practices

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Princessk24, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hello does anyone have any good and bad teaching practices and learning practices..

2. I am sure we all do!!

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

KS88/Princessk24 or whatever you would like to call yourself.

You will have more success in getting the answers you want if you rephrase your question. What is it that you want to find out?

Are you asking about students' teaching experiences in schools or approaches to teaching and pedagogy?

What do you mean by learning practices? Do you want to know more about children's learning styles?

Your original question here is too vague for any response to be of much use to you. Help us to help you.

4. Thank you for your kind reply.
    About the question i previously asked firstly id like to know:
    • What type of teaching practices are there that are used in the classroom? (good or bad experiences)
    • Also, what type of learning practices are there that are used by teachers to enable children to learn efficiently?

5. That's pretty broad still.
    Learning practices, I don't think I as a teacher use those, as I am teaching, not learning.
    Are you looking for general ideas or more specific. It would be easier if you asked for something like teaching practices for mental maths etc.

6. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

I learn every single day in the classroom. How else would I improve?

7. Hmmm... that sounds rather worrying.

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I went on a return to teaching programme recently and one thing that has stuck in my kind was some kind of hierarchy of methods of teaching/ learning. This by Maslow. You might be able to google it somewhere. It was ranked according to how well information was retained if learned/taught by the method.
    The method at the very top that resulted in the best retention was to have to teach the topic to someone else. This is a technique that you can incorporate into classroom practice in lots of different ways and that children can enjoy too.

9. Of course I learn, but not the things I am teaching the children, hopefully I know those things already =)

So, are we looking for strategies for learning from our teaching practice?

10. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'm curious as to why the OP asked the question. Eg are you trying to improve your classroom practice, or are you a student hoping that somebody will write your essay for you?

11. Me too and the question is so vague anyway.

12. Write an essay for me? No.
    Like you said i am trying to improve my classroom practice and explore different types of teaching practices that people have observed or been part of. And if they found this successful or not?

13. Your question does not make sense!
    Teaching practices that people have observed or been part of? Do you mean delivering a poem dressed as a character or getting children to do hot seating etc as opposed to chalk and talk?

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, you're still being vague to the point of meaninglessness. Are you a qualified teacher?

15. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

It seems to be the word practices that's throwing us all. Activities? Methods?

Might I suggest the first thing you work on improving is your questioning. That should help you out both in the classroom and on here. Bloom's taxonomy is a good place to start.