1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gongs for your besties

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Jan 7, 2019.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...zviSclyX21vZ5B_9Yc0jQEQYeU_jh5LE2WscA7Snaqyuc

"A multimillionaire businessman whose company’s drug price rises have cost the NHS £50 million was appointed OBE in the new year’s honours list, The Times can reveal.

Vijay Patel, 69, set up a company that exploited a loophole in health service rules to increase the price of old medicines for which it was the sole supplier by up to 2,500 per cent.

The firm, Atnahs, raised the price of a packet of antidepressants from £5.71 to £154. An insomnia treatment now costs more than £138 instead of £12.10."

No wonder May says it's going to take 10 years to get the NHS back on track. Does she mean by privatisation? Or are the Tories suddenly going to close all the legal loopholes that benefit their mates and donors?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Outrageous!

I wonder who proposed this money-grabbing bloodsucker?

I am aware that the new £42m Vijay Patel Building at Leicester’s De Montfort University is the result of the single biggest donation in the university’s history by Vijay Patel, a graduate of the university’s School of Pharmacy. However, if that money essentially comes from the NHS rather than from him personally, then I don't think it counts!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I was pleased to note that The Times is vehemently vocal about this in its leader page today.

nomad and monicabilongame like this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

How did he think he'd get away with it? And more importantly, how did he?
    Sack the to$a whose job should be to investigate potential honourees.

nomad likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Any teacher who survives more than five years at the "chalk face" in a state school deserves a gong. I couldn't have done it.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I did so where's my clucking gong?

7. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

6 + then for me please! Mind you only 3 or 4 of them are gong worthy!

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

He did nothing illegal, so there is no question of "getting away" with anything.

Surely the person to sack is the one responsible for this glaring loophole in NHS finances?

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

"A multimillionaire businessman whose company’s drug price rises have cost the NHS £50 million was appointed OBE in the new year’s honours list, The Times can reveal.

What gets me is that Big Dave, who supplied most of the very best Class A in Southern England narrowly missed out on a gong, but instead was awarded nine years minimum at Her Majesty's pleasure.
    Cost to the NHS unknown, but probably somewhat less than £50 million.
    Perhaps he paid protection money to the wrong Cons?
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

monicabilongame likes this.