1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gone blank!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by flickaz, Mar 19, 2011.

1. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Could you put up some pictures that the children can describe? Maybe put up some kind of frame and have a "picture of the week". Put a whiteboard and pen underneath and a question along the lines of "What can you see in the picture?" or "What adjectives would you use ot describe the picture?"

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you got them to write in large letters and had lots of space around and about, a number of sentences put up at varying angles would make a fabulous display. Especially for children who probably don't see their writing up on walls very often.

Do your own 'learning walk' and nosy at what other people do, especially in KS1 where they don't do a huge amount of extended writing either.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Personally I would have a phonics display somewhere in the room, something to show correct letter formation and some prompts for writing. If children's work isn't celebrated anywhere else in school it needs to be displayed in your room.
    but please please don't support a twice convicted paedophile by visiting the ********** site!
    take a look on communication4all

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

How about a sheet of quite expensive wrapping paper? There are so many beautiful designs. If you buy 2 sheets, you could cut extra small pictures to dot around other areas. Shouldn't cost too much so you can have a change later. If you border the sheet with a solid colour, it will look stunning (like putting children's artwork on black etc.)
    Then get some nice map pins with coloured heads and you can pin up childrren's writing as temporary additions round the edge.
    Or get the kids to do really bright drawings or collages and make a 'patchwork' by pinning up overlapping rectangles. Or do the same with a series of ClipArt pictures that belong to the same style - could be the capital letters, or crazy animals, or cartoon figures. They have much more oomph if you pick lots from the same type (Go Find Similar Clips/artistic style).

5. Most people have probably heard your opinion on ********** by now....I agree with you in some ways about using the resources, but we do live in a free country, where people are allowed to make up their own minds about things, and I, for one, believe in our justice system. The man 'did wrong', and he's in prison for it, so unless prisons have provided him with the resources to carry on the business which caught him out in the first place (I don't think so!), it means the business has probably been bought by someone else, and is being regularly updated by the new owner. You don't have to comment on every thread where ********** is mentioned. Apologies for changing the subject, but it's getting boring reading the same thing over and over again (not just from you, I will add) - may the soapboxes break under the weight of your opinions. I don't agree with what he did (obviously), but I also don't agree that it should be brought up again and again. Apologies for biting, but I'm really tired and headachey, and I had to just write it. Not a fan of forgiveness in this case, but am hoping for a new side of his leaf being turned over!
    Back to the OP - some of the children's writing would be great up on the wall. Can't remember the first unit of work in ELS, but simple sentences, that could be added to with each session, would be a huge reward for the children in your group - leading to a massive sense of pride in 'their' room!

6. Thank you so much, there are some fab ideas coming through, I have'nt quite decided yet on what I am going to display, but I definately want to show off some of the kiddies work, as they have worked so hard.