1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goldsmiths welcome pack/ freshers fair.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Myrrhine, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Apologies if this has already been posted about.
    I'm getting a bit nervous that I have not heard anything from Goldsmiths since i go comfirmation of my place about a month ago.
    Anyone going to Goldsmiths recieved any kind of welcome pack about the course?
    I've looked at the handbook for last year's PGCE students and I assume that we will get an almost identical one.
    Also, any Goldsmiths Tes-sers out there planning to go to the freshers fair? Maybe we could meet up and go together as a group. I know the vast majority of people have decided against partaking in the joys of student accommodation, so most of us won't know anyone from university untill the course officially begins on the 19th!

2. Apologies if this has already been posted about.
    I'm getting a bit nervous that I have not heard anything from Goldsmiths since i go comfirmation of my place about a month ago.
    Anyone going to Goldsmiths recieved any kind of welcome pack about the course?
    I've looked at the handbook for last year's PGCE students and I assume that we will get an almost identical one.
    Also, any Goldsmiths Tes-sers out there planning to go to the freshers fair? Maybe we could meet up and go together as a group. I know the vast majority of people have decided against partaking in the joys of student accommodation, so most of us won't know anyone from university untill the course officially begins on the 19th!

3. I haven't had anything either. I have rang them twice to ask. The last time they said it would be emailed out in two weeks. That was three weeks ago!
    A friend of mine who will be studying at Greenwich already has his (rather long) reading list and some short assignments to do. It's very frustrating, It would be nice to have something to get on with.

4. Hey,

I received a welcome booklet in the post yesterday, so you should be getting one real soon. What subject are you going on to do?

I hadn't heard of the Freshers Fair, but Id b up for going, lol.

Says in the welcome pack that course starts on 12th not 19th tho.

Im taking up the joys of student accommodation, lol, as I am moving from Ireland :)

Micky

5. Are you doing a secondary PGCE by any chance? It tends to start a week earlier than primary. I'm doing upper primary and I really hope it starts on the nineteenth otherwise it will screw up my perfectly planned out scheme where I hand in my notice at work and then get a week of annual leave to relax before the madness begins!
    What made you think of applying to Goldsmiths micky? It would be great to meet up for the freshers fair! Think of all the free pens!
    @ Bebbie, I know what you mean about wanting something to get on with. I'm trying to do some reading but it would be nice to have some direction from the university.

6. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

Hi I am starting my PGCE in Physics this september.
    I recieved my pack day before yesterday....My offer was still conditional though!!
    What is this about the fair...n when is it?

7. After my rant yesterday I received it in the post this morning!
    My starting date is 19th, I'm doing General Primary.
    There is alot of books on the list.. I'm not sure I can afford them all and the second-hand copies I can see on ebay are still quite expensive. Does anyone know any good places to get second-hand?

8. I still havenot got mine! Hoping it will turn up tomorrow though.
    Hummi, from what I gather we will get a kind of freshers fair targeted at PGCE students focusing on T

9. Oops don'tknow what happened there :/ I'll try that again.
    Hummi, from what I gather we will get a kind of freshers fair targeted at PGCE students focusing on teaching Unions. They give out teacher related goodies such as pens, wall planners and diaries.
    But we will also get to go the bog standard freshers fair with all the weird and wonderful freebies targeted at students. The best weird thing i got during my undergraduate degree was a little circular mint box from 3 mobile which I am convinced was intended to be used to stash weed in. I intend to go just for the free pens. Teachers can never have enough :)

10. Hi, no mention of a freshers fair in the welcome pack I have - for Upper Primary PGCE. But yes a long book list, and some prep work, and an indicative weekly schedule. Shame we won't get the plan for the first week until we arrive at the lecture theatre - I'm keen to know what is in store for us for induction/first week. Does any one have one from the year just finished, or know some that has?

11. Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if anybody would be up for this idea, but I'll suggest it anyway! I'm a prospective PGCE student on the Upper Primary course starting at Goldsmiths in September alongside all you other lovely folk on here! I've moved over from Northern Ireland so it's all very new to me! I was thinking it might be good for a few of us, or anyone else who is up for it, to meet in the library or somewhere near to Goldsmiths to chat about our expectations for the course, fears we have, how we've gone about preparing for it thus far and good resources etc. It would also be good to get to know some people before we start the course as it's pretty much going to be straight into it I'd say.

If you come across this, are in the London area already and fancy doing this then let's sort a date and time out and go for it. If not....well....just ignore me! As much as the PGCE course is about individual hard work and a steely determination to get where we want to in our careers, I think it also has to be viewed as an opportunity to make new friends/colleagues (perhaps lifelong ones at that) so perhaps meeting up before the course is a good way to start?

I'll hopefully hear back soon from somebody!

Grant

12. Hello Grant,
    I too am on the upper primary course. I'd love to meet up with you and whoever else stumbles across this post. I'm sure that everyone I know is getting bored sick of me going on and on about how nervous and excited I am about starting the PGCE in September so it would be great to meet up with people who are in the same boat.
    I only live 20 mins away from Goldsmiths but I'm still working weird shifts (only three weeks to go...eek). Next week I can do Tuesday and Wednesday late afternoon/eveningif you're up for that?

13. Hi Grant & co, I could be up for that. It would have to be early evening for me though as I'm still working at the moment... Francesca

14. Hey guys.....I'm heading back home for a few days but will be back Friday. Perhaps we could arrange to meet on Friday evening or a night next week? If you have facebook you can add me....just search for Grant Dunlop. I'll get on to the idea of starting a facebook group for our course so thanks for the idea! Looking forward to meeting everyone.

15. I have created a facebook page for us primary Goldsmithers! (Thanks for the great advice Alicia). Search for Goldsmiths Primary PGCE 2011-12.

16. Hey guys and girls.....I've been out of the country for a few days and have just returned so apologies for the silence re: meeting up. Now that I'm back though, who's up for meeting?! I'm a definite....I will be living in the Tulse Hill/Herne Hill area from Wednesday so access to Goldsmiths is pretty good for me. If Goldsmiths suits for us to meet at then lets do it there. If not we can meet in central London somewhere. I'll let the crowd decide that one though cos I'm not fussy! Also the link for the Facebook Goldsmith PGCE Primary 2011/2012 is: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Goldsmiths-Primary-PGCE-2011-12/185504491519106?sk=wall . There's not too much activity on there at the moment but it might be good if we use that as our main communication medium from now on as most of us probably have facebook? If not though we can still use this....personally though, I find facebook easier!?

Not long now guys! Really looking forward to meeting everyone on the 19th, if not before then! Until then take care!

Grant