1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden Time...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by llov1_04, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Just wanted some ideas about how golden time works in different classes...Any good advice? :)

2. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

We've had whole school golden time this year. Class teachers provide an activity and each class are allocated a number of places in each one. Worked well.

3. We have golden time just with our own class. It was suggested we do it as a whole school, where children could choose to go to a different class for an activity, but some members of staff didn't like that. I suspect it was because they don't do golden time often!
    Our golden time is meant to be related to something we are currently teaching. I make it art and craft based as much as possible as that is what the children like. I have always argued that if we want them to see it as a reward then we have to offer something they are actually interested in doing! I sometimes do the making part of our D&T topic in golden times and the children are happy with that. It becomes a problem though if children have lost golden time minutes as they still need to do the work another time, so they don't really miss the activity, just get it delayed. That's why I prefer to do something that is unique for golden time and can be used as a real incentive - we've done topic related sewings, paintings, paper crafts, model making etc.
    I'm always on the look out for new ideas so if anyone has any, please share :)

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you make Golden Time linked to the curriculum, then you can't really have it as a reward.

If you make it just free playtime then you have to try to justify the point of losing learning time.

If you make it a stand alone 'activity' then it just becomes another lesson which some children will enjoy and some will not.

I've never quite seen the point of Golden Time.

5. Me neither. How can you link it to the curriculum? Surely all children should be included in all lessons? I can't imagine saying, "You can't do this piece of Art linked to the Romans Topic because you're too naughty."
    I also think a lot of teachers use it as a Friday afternoon time filler so they can clear off early. Usually they're the ones who moan they can't fit everything in.