1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden Time Music activities

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TigerLoo, Oct 15, 2016.

1. TigerLoo

TigerLoo New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am music coordinator at my school, and am going to running some music based activities during our weekly golden time, mainly with years 3 and 4. Am looking for advice/ideas of any activities that you have had success with in the past that would be suitable.
    As it is their 'own time' rather than a lesson I don't want to be too prescriptive. However, I am wary of it just becoming a chaotic free-for-all!

Any thoughts appreciated :)

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Opportunities to use instruments freely would be popular, I think. Perhaps you could provide a stimulus and leave the children to explore?

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Could you set out some instruments that aren't often used- Glocks. xylophones, boomwhackers etc. Make a set of challenge cards with a simple activity to go with them. Look in tes resources - there is a wonderful set of challenge cards by b_g_uk. They are for younger children but you could easily adapt them for your class.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    NoIdeaWhy2 likes this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Four ideas…

1. A small set of instruments for a group of four children to use to create a piece of music. For example, metallophone, ocean drum, rainmaker and glockenspiel, and a laminated card with a short poem on it about the sea and the task: Create some gentle background sea music to accompany the reading of the poem.

2. A xylophone with a laminated activity card which says:
    Start on C. Can you work out how to play Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star? Can you play and sing it?
    or
    Start on C. Can you work out how to play Oh, When the Saints Go Marching In? Can you play and sing it?
    (There are other song possibilities here, of course - depends what songs the children know. If you do Kodaly work with them there are many possibilities).

3. A set of cards with two-beat rhythms on them. Place the cards face down in a pile. Play with a partner: first person turns over the first card and claps the rhythm. Second person turns over the next card and puts it beside the first card, then claps the whole pattern from the beginning - and so on as the rhythm gets longer and longer. Can they both count in and clap the whole series of cards at the end?

4. There are some books for children about famous composers with CDs telling the story with the music in the background. If you have a CD player/PC and splitters/headphones you may have some children who would enjoy listening to that. There are also some apps like My First Classical Music App and Carnival of the Animals which are very good and can be popular with some children.

sparklepig2002 and NoIdeaWhy2 like this.
  5. TigerLoo

TigerLoo New commenter

Thank you all for the replies - sparklepig I have just downloaded those resources, they look great.
    Violaclef, I love the idea of working out the tunes on the xylophone :)

sparklepig2002 likes this.