1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden time and Sanctions

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by minnieminx, Jul 4, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't use missing golden time as a sanction for several reasons.

1. I believe it important for children to have free choosing time from classroom resources and activities. So I see it more as a valuable learning session in the same way as subjects.

2. For year 1 it is too far away to be of any real use as a sanction. If you tell them on Friday afternoon they are missing 5 minutes due to messing about in PE on Tuesday morning they won't have a clue.

3. I prefer to start each day with a new slate. A sanction several days away is not doing that.

I would keep with the missing playtimes, but make sure that the alternative to playtime is suitably boring and unpleasant so that they do mind. I'd also speak to parents if the child misses more than one playtime in a week.

2. I wrote my thesis on golden time!

a) As minnieminx said... It's unfair to punish a child for something they did 4 days ago. They probably won't even be able to remember why they are missing some golden time, especially in year 1!

b) Sanctions should be instant, if you want them to be effective. They should also be restorative to the offence for maximum effect. For example: I caught a group of year 3 children climbing on a shed, so their punishment was to spend their afternoon playtime preparing a presentation to the class on the dangers of climbing on the shed. The presentation was good and they didn't climb on the shed again. The added bonus was also that the rest of the class were educated on the dangers of "shed climbing"

c) Also to echo minnieminx; golden time is a valuable time for extracurricular learning. The children are not just missing out on something 'fun', they are also missing out on something very valuable.

d) If a child loses golden time on Monday morning, do you seriously expect them to be as good as gold all week? What do they have to lose?

3. Sorry, I have just read my post, I'm not being very helpful!

If you would like a positive way to use your golden time, you could allow the children to 'earn' minutes... instead of lose them. This way you can give praise to the children who really have earned it and use your standard punishments for the naughty articles, whilst allowing them the chance to earn minutes by showing good behaviour.

4. I tried this idea of giving minutes to focus on the positive, and it is very hard to keep on top of, meaning that the average children get missed if you are not careful. However Jenny Mosley, in her book on golden time, clearly states that golden time minutes should be given in full at the beginning of the week as a way of telling the children that you expect them to keep the golden rules. I have tried this approach now successfully for a number of weeks and have changed my viewpoint to agree with Jenny Mosley. In addition to this the children believe that it is a fairer way to do things. I am in a year five class and the children lose five minutes at a time after two clear warnings. They can only earn time back, up to a maximum of fifteen minutes, if they succeed in losing all of the initial thirty minutes.
    Hope this helps and that I have not rambled on for too long. Read Jenny Mosley's golden time book. It's very clear and should convince even the most hardened opponent of golden time (me).

5. Yes thanks for replying. I have read Jenny Mosley's book and understand how it works. I do golden time at the moment all children start with the same amount of time and pegs moved. the trouble I have is that I want the sanction to be instant- e.g. missing playtime for that day. ots of people saying on here about saving up the missed time etc- and with young children they tend to forget what they did previously during the week to have their peg moved!
    I would like to hear from other year 1/KS1 teachers about sanctions and warnings they have in place without the need to rely on SMT. I am considering making our class rules into golden rules and then chn missing playtime during week for not upholding class rules with the idea of taking some golden time should the need arise or other sanctions not working.

Hope this makes sense. Please could I have some KS1 teachers responses.

6. I inheirited a very difficult year 2 class at the start of this year and had to think carefully about sanctions/rewards.
    The best thing I did was a visual behaviour chart - children all start off same then move up to gain reewards or down to sanctions - warning, time out of class to discuss behaviour with TA, 5 minutes of play lost and sent to another classroom. This really works with mine, although it did take time. It helps to reward the children who are always doing the right thing.
    My class have golden time on a Friday. They start with it all. When I ask them to come to carpet/sit and listen etc, if I have to wait the timer goes on and time is lost from golden time - from most of class or individuals (have to make a note or I forget). I go through each class member on a Friday and quickly talk about behaviour - can do them in a group if it is the same. If they have been disruptive etc then they lose some golden time and sit on the carpet in silence whilst everyone else is playing. It does work, my least mature children know they will lose their time and it feels like the end of the world to them. I only have to say 'are you thinking about golden time' and they know!
    With older children I used to make them finish any work in golden time, which was really effective!
    I hope this makes sense. Let me know if I can help at all.

7. yes thanks for reply. I too have made children finish work in golden time. I also have rule of minute missed if they are in wrong place at wrong time i.e. once I have siad zero and all chn have returned to carpet etc. Also if they leave class without asking. Its nice to know that I'm doing the same as other teachers- it just seems that with this class they don't seem to have learnt by their mistakes and that nothing is a real incentive. Today I did use a sand timer and all chn who had to miss some of their golden time sat and watched the timer patiently counting their minutes while rest of class played. Golden time was a good experience today and I even managed to read with most of the class.
    I'm thinking that although I have been explaining that behaviour is unacceptable and I'm upset perhaps I need to really play on disappointment side of things- trouble is how far do you go with children that are this young. My class can all explain which rule they have broken and how they should of acted but still continue to be unkind and hurt each other in retaliation- which no one seems to take seriously. Parents included!
    This is my main reason for thinking of a good system for next year, as I would like to improve and build a real incentive for these children. Question is will the missing of continous playtimes have the same affect as missing an activity the children have chosen for themselves in a goldent time session?
    Can I ask posiesparkles what were the rewards for good children on your chart?

8. How about a parent's perspective? My son is five years old; extremely active and, having been brought up by a stay at home Dad, he is very outgoing and confident. He does not - at just five years old - have the mental acumen or foresight to realise in the heat of a moment or play that it may impact on his 'golden time' in 1-5 day's time. Every time he comes home and tells me he didn't get his smiley face my heart sinks. So here's what I think golden time is really teaching him:

1. Make sure that you don?t get caught making a mistake.
    2. If people annoy you, or don?t do as you tell them, the right thing to do is punish and humiliate them publicly.
    3. The main reason for behaving well in school is to keep your golden time.
    4. Some children just do not deserve Golden Time.
    5. If you can make up an excuse or blame somebody else, you may be able to keep your Golden Time.
    6. The teacher is responsible for my behaviour, not me.
    7. Children should not take risks in case they make a mistake, thus losing Golden Time.
    8. I know that I have been punished, but I can?t remember what it was for.
    9. I know I must have done something wrong, but I don?t understand what and don?t know what to do instead.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

What is a 'chn'?