1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden Rules

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by aspiringgeographyteacher, Jun 9, 2016.

1. aspiringgeographyteacher

aspiringgeographyteacher New commenter

Hi,

What are your top 3 (or more) Golden Rules to dealing with poor behaviour in class/ class control?

2. lilycorrigan

lilycorrigan New commenter

For Primary or Secondary? As both differs for me :)

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Make expectations clear, follow up on any threat or promise made, never start a sentence with "If you don't stop that I'll..."

4. KRkazoo

KRkazoo New commenter

Stay calm, make expectations/outcomes clear and help the student to understand they are choosing the outcomes by their behaviour.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. aspiringgeographyteacher

aspiringgeographyteacher New commenter

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Three rules you can use for primary or secondary are:

1. Follow instructions fast
    2. Stay on task
    3.,Work without disturbing others

I find those three simple rules even three year olds can understand, cover almost everything.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not so much golden rules, but my top three things to consider are:
    1. Prevention (set up your room and your lesson in ways that won't lead to everyone needing to fight to reach the scissor drawer, hidden in a corner cupboard, at the same moment)
    2. Routines (pupils need to know what they do when they come in, when they are working individually, when clearing up, when leaving. Make your routines crystal clear and insist on them. Military style works for me)
    3. Rewards/sanctions (give both very sparingly and make them count. Praise can be given freely as can stern looks and reminders about routines.)

My rules are usually a variation of:
    1. Treat people and property carefully
    2. Allow everyone to work

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.