1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden Hello Theft by Skills Funding Agency

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by argallimore, Jun 11, 2010.

1. The SFA has just announced that Golden Hellos are to be no more... new recruits will not be eligible as the scheme is to be scrapped... but of course, assuming you're just about to finish your first year, you'll still be eligible right? Wrong. The SFA has decided it will continue to accept application claims until the 30th July 2010.... so that means if, like most teachers, you signed your teaching contract somewhere in August last year, you will not be able to claim your Golden Hello as your 2nd year of teaching doesn't start until your 1st year contract ends... your application will thus be too late.... had they chosen a more sensible date for the cut-off, say 31sy August/1st September, then those of us who have been working for the last year under the impression that we would be getting a Golden Hello would actually get what we were promised.... this is downright out of order... we get given an incentive, the Golden Hello, but have it taken away after the fact... God I hope the unions get onto this pretty damn quick...

2. The SFA has just announced that Golden Hellos are to be no more... new recruits will not be eligible as the scheme is to be scrapped... but of course, assuming you're just about to finish your first year, you'll still be eligible right? Wrong. The SFA has decided it will continue to accept application claims until the 30th July 2010.... so that means if, like most teachers, you signed your teaching contract somewhere in August last year, you will not be able to claim your Golden Hello as your 2nd year of teaching doesn't start until your 1st year contract ends... your application will thus be too late.... had they chosen a more sensible date for the cut-off, say 31sy August/1st September, then those of us who have been working for the last year under the impression that we would be getting a Golden Hello would actually get what we were promised.... this is downright out of order... we get given an incentive, the Golden Hello, but have it taken away after the fact... God I hope the unions get onto this pretty damn quick...

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Any link to confirm? Can't see anythig on the SFA pertaining to teachers and the TDA is still advertising golden hellos for the 2010/2011 intake of PGCEers...maybe I am just overlooking it.
    I will dig out my paperwork at some point, can't remember what the terms of the Golden Hello schemes were...

4. I'm aware that they seem to be sitting on this for the time being... but our college management team has reliably informed us that this is the case... I also phoned our local SFA office and they confirmed that the 30th July will be the cut off date, no exceptions, no matter if you've completed a full academic year by that point. I feel like i've been duped and ripped off...

5. I applied for mine in september last year as I changed schools and needed my new school to sign it but my friends applied in July - you have to have completed your NQT year and someone has to sign to say you're working there for at least another term but as far as I was aware, you'd completed your NQT year once your last report was signed and sent off which has to be before a certain date in July.
    I could be wrong but if theres a chance u might lose it, its DEFINATELY work asking around for past NQTs in your school and seeing if u can get it signed and sent off because there are definately people that send it off in July.

6. I'm in FE. My contract started 17th August which means my 2nd year doesn't start until the 17th August this year. According to the guidelines, you can't apply for the golden hello until you've STARTED your 2nd year, NOT when you've finished your 1st. So I'll lose it. Total scam.

7. That really does suck. I thought it was bad enough we were never told they were taxable etc etc so instead of receiving 5000, i got less than 3000, but be told this late in the year that I wouldn't get one at all - That is so unfair and I really hope someone sorts it out and you get the golden hello you deserve!

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I am confused...Have the SFA made an "announcement" or not? And what does it mean that your college team have been reliably informed!?
    Also, is this for ALL teachers, or just for those in FE? I was under the impression that FE was handled differently (by the SFA) to secondary golden hellos (TDA via Local Authority). So, without more information I am not sure what the impact of this will be.

9. Tony22

Tony22 New commenter

Surely they can't do that. I'm just coming to the end of my NQT year and obviously i'll be applying for my golden hello soon. I can imagine them stopping it for people starting PGCE's in September 2010, but not for people already going through the motions of actually being a teacher. One for the unions of it is the case.

10. I am in the same situation as yourself, I feel so angry and helpless. I phoned few people and the only responce I get is we used that fund to train others. Its just not fair

11. Thanks. No the golden hello is no longer available and it ended in June or July 2010 so cannot apply at all.

12. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

13. Thank you so much, I will see if I can apply. As I am a lecturer and not a teacher. I asked my college and they told me I cannot apply the deadline was july 2010.
    Thanks a lot

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Your application might still be accepted if you submit it before the end of July as you are contracted by that point to remain in your job until at least the end of the calendar year.

15. Has anyone managed to get the golden hello after july 2010?