1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden Hello Temporary Contract

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sawells87, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm just completing my PGCE year (Science!) and am applying for a job at a school near me. However, it is only a 12 month contract (doesn't say why). I have read somewhere that you need to work for 4 terms to get the golden hello. Is this right? Will I be eligible for it? I really want to work there but a tax-free £5000 is not something I want to miss out on!

Thanks

Sam

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Yes you need to have a post (4th term) within 18 months of finishing your PGCE so I've been told x

3. You do need to work for 4 terms to get the golden hello. I got a job at a school that only offered me a 12 month temporary contract (due to falling numbers of pupils) but I have secured a permanent post in another school so I will complete the four terms. So you can take up the 12 month contract but you must find employment for another term after that contract has ended to get the golden hello.

Oh and the golden hello is not tax-free unfortunately :(

4. Thankyou very much!

5. James,

Do you have to work in the same LA? I am working away from home and hope to get a post in my home LA.

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You can only claim after you have finished induction (and are still employed as a teacher) x

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It is paid as a lump sum in one amount and is not dependent upon number of days you work. it is subject to statutory deductions for taxes
    The form should have been issued to you by your University if not you have to get it from them.