1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden Hello shock

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jamiehubball, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Just had a surprise when looking at the golden hello eligibility (and no, it's not the tax thing that everyone moans about).

I just noticed you have to have a contract for your SECOND year of teaching in place to be eligible (of at least one term).

Does anyone know whether that second year has to follow the first directly? For example, can I finish my first year in July, skip a term or two and then come back and still pick up my golden hello? If I did, would it have to be a job in the same LA?

Thanks in advance

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You need to be employed for at least a term in the 12 months after passing Induction. It's designed as a reward for staying in the State system so they require you to be working for the majority of your timetable, in the shortage subject in which you trained, for at least a term in that post Induction year.
    You have to be still in the employment when the payment is processed for payment so should have the forms ready for submitting as soon as you start the placement because if you submit it later and they take ages to process it, you will not get it if the placement has ended and it didn't make it into your last pay.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You have 12 months from completing induction to claim but you must be directly employed by a school- supply agency work does not allow you to claim. The problem with skipping a term or so is landing a suitable post in time to meet the 12 month deadline

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You might be able to get the GH from supply work via an LA agency. It's worth checking if a placement intended to last at least a term (Maternity Cover, for instance), paid by the LA on supply rates, would qualify.