1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden Hello Quickie

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by cremeegg, Jan 14, 2012.

1. cremeegg

cremeegg New commenter

Hi
    I completed my NQT year in a state school which sent me home in tears every night from mid september onwards. I was on a fixed term contract of one year, and stuck with it to complete the NQT and become eligible for the golden hello.
    Despite my subject supposedly being shortage, all I could find was maternity positions, and I got one at an independent school (which follows the main pay scale, just to clarify incase somebody wanted to say that my higher indie salary should compensate).
    Anyway, clearly I am not eligible for the GH, though a young colleague tells me that I AM as it is a religious school. Is that true??? I don't think so myself.
    Main question now: when the maternity finishes, (July), if I can get a new job in a state school ready for Sept, will I THEN be eligible for the GH?
    I suppose in all honesty, if I will be, I'll centre my aim on state, and sadly, if not I might be tempted to try to find a position in a similar indie - purely because I haven't cried once at my new school.

Thank you and best wishes.

Creme egg!

2. cremeegg

cremeegg New commenter

Hi
    I completed my NQT year in a state school which sent me home in tears every night from mid september onwards. I was on a fixed term contract of one year, and stuck with it to complete the NQT and become eligible for the golden hello.
    Despite my subject supposedly being shortage, all I could find was maternity positions, and I got one at an independent school (which follows the main pay scale, just to clarify incase somebody wanted to say that my higher indie salary should compensate).
    Anyway, clearly I am not eligible for the GH, though a young colleague tells me that I AM as it is a religious school. Is that true??? I don't think so myself.
    Main question now: when the maternity finishes, (July), if I can get a new job in a state school ready for Sept, will I THEN be eligible for the GH?
    I suppose in all honesty, if I will be, I'll centre my aim on state, and sadly, if not I might be tempted to try to find a position in a similar indie - purely because I haven't cried once at my new school.

Thank you and best wishes.

Creme egg!

3. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

Hi Creme Egg,

As far as I am aware you have a time limit of 1 year to obtain your golden hello after you complete induction. I completed my induction in July 2011 and I have started at a new school in Jan 2012 where I have just put in my golden hello form. I'm sure I will be corrected if this is not the case but I know that my friend lost hers in a similar situation at an indie school.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That your independent school might be a faith school is entirely irrelevant - the 'golden hello' is only available to those employed in state schools (for obvious reasons - it's not a present because you're a teacher, it's an incentive to teach in state schools).

5. cremeegg

cremeegg New commenter

Thanks for your responses, both.
    A lot of people seem to reiterate this idea that the GH is an incentive to teach in state schools. It's really a great idea and so in all honesty I'm not grumbling too loudly that I won't get it (though it would have been a Godsend!) as there are non-financial upsides to my current situation.
    But just as a side point - and I hope others will share their experiences here too - I sent so many applications to state schools over the six months to July 2011 before making a final stab when my current school advertised late - in July. That I got that job out of the dozens I applied for is the only real reason I'm at an independent school. Where I'm going with this I suppose, is that I don't think my subject is a shortage subject. ( I had assumed it was as a GH was offered) Perhaps I wasn't the best candidate in all the interviews I did (I interview badly as I get faint under high stress - something which has never blighted me in the classroom however). This is my second post, and both have been fixed contract. In fact, someone asked me in the staffroom on Friday - "I thought languages were a shortage subject - why are you here doing maternity cover?"
    I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles!