1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden Hello - help please!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by smicer07, May 29, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    Just want to know if anyone knows whether or not I'm eligible to receive a Golden Hello.
    Basically the facts are thus:
    1) Qualified in 2004, PGCE MFL at John Moores, Liverpool
    2) Completed NQT year last year, having been working on supply on and off since 2004.
    3) Still working at the school I did NQT year- but it's a school in Wales.
    I assumed that I wouldn't be eligible since I qualified so long ago, but looking on the TDA website it appears I might be? I'm concerned that the fact I qualified in England but am working in Wales may hinder me?
    Any advice/knowledge would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. You have one year after completion of induction to claim the golden hello, not after completion of the training!!! Your ITT provider should have given you the papers to fill in. If it's been more than twelve months since you completed induction, it's too late. But I've never seen anything about not teaching in England, only about being employed by an independent school.

3. Just double checked, The TDA website checklist actually says
    To be eligible for a golden hello you must be employed in England as a
    qualified school teacher in a maintained secondary school (including
    middle-deemed-secondary), a maintained or non-maintained special school,
    or an academy.
    [​IMG]

4. It also says:

Eligible teachers in Wales will need to send their application form with a photocopy of their induction certificate to:

Teaching Incentives Team, Learning Improvement and Professional Development Division (Teaching Incentives)

Department for Children, Education, Lifelong Learning and Skills

Welsh Assembly Government

Cathays Park

CARDIFF

<font size="3">CF10 3NQ
    i've emailed them anyway!!
    </font>

5. Also just found this:
    <font size="3" face="Helvetica">People who trained and received a &pound;6,000 training grant from the National
    Assembly for Wales will be eligible for a &pound;4,000 Golden Hello from the DfES
    after their first year as a teacher if they are working in a relevant post in
    England. A reciprocal arrangement applies to English-trained teachers taking
    up posts in Wales. The &pound;4,000 will be payable to an eligible individual either
    in Wales, or in England, but not in both.
    So I think I could get it?
    </font>