1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden Hello: Can I still get my golden hello despite teaching a different subject to my ITT?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by timwparker, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Hello,

I have just completed my PGCE year in Design & technology and was recently at a job interview for a DT job. Sadly I didi not get the DT job, but the headteacher was impressed with me and offered me a 1 year contract to teach ICT instead, which I have accepted as there are no DT jobs in the south west (ie-It was the only job on offer). Will I still be able to claim the Golden hello as I am not teaching DT? Or if not, do you think I could try and negotiate my salary to include a golden hello as I did originally go for the dT post and feel it unfair not to get golden hello?
    Thanks, Tim

2. Hello,

I have just completed my PGCE year in Design & technology and was recently at a job interview for a DT job. Sadly I didi not get the DT job, but the headteacher was impressed with me and offered me a 1 year contract to teach ICT instead, which I have accepted as there are no DT jobs in the south west (ie-It was the only job on offer). Will I still be able to claim the Golden hello as I am not teaching DT? Or if not, do you think I could try and negotiate my salary to include a golden hello as I did originally go for the dT post and feel it unfair not to get golden hello?
    Thanks, Tim

3. The golden hello rules are that you must complete your induction year teaching the subject that qualifies for the GH, not another subject. If they can provide you with a timetable that is mostly DT but not all, that would qualify, but if there is only ICT or just a few DT lessons that would not qualify. You can try to negotiate a higher starting salary, but the school may say no and is not obliged to compensate you for the loss of the GH. This cohort will be the last GH cohort anyway as the government have now scrapped the GH. James