1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden hello and academies

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by anon2047, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Hi, I think I have just encountered the difference between a secondary school and an academy.

I will be starting at an academy funded by the DfE in Sept and should be on mps 2 but have been told it is unlikely I will get it, I am now also wondering if I have lost my golden hello due after Christmas.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Jaime

2. I think you're not getting M2 because you didn't work the required number of weeks in the previous academic year. Academies are still state secondaries and count for golden hellos - just get your form signed as normal (although are you eligible as it's the beginning of second full year that you claim it?)

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You claim the GH in the 12 months following completion of Induction. If you complete Induction during a school year and still have at least a term left in that employment, you can submit GH forms to the LA that governs your current school.

4. Many thanks everyone for the clarification and advice!

Jaime

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I could be wrong but I thought the whole point of academies was that the can pay whatever they want, much like an independent school? I've got a friend who started at an academy on m1, but they give her 10% more and no PPA.

6. Hi Modgepodge, in theory it is the case that academies can legally have their own pay scales but in reality they mostly use the same scales. If in a challenging area, they can be more flexible to pay more for example. I have never heard of academies paying LESS as so many scare-mongering people seem to think will be the case. If they paid less then presumably they would struggle to attract good candidates.