1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden handcuffs?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Jeremyinspain, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

2. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Many international schools insist on a minimum period, usually 2 years, of experience in one's home country/country of qualification or something along those lines. That in itself would render the golden handcuffs argument redundant. The reality though is that there are, and will be many more, international schools needing teachers and the requirement for two years experience is becoming just as redundant even in half decent-ish schools that pay well enough to tempt a young certified teacher to see a bit of the world.

Anyway, why would an international school prefer to employ someone who has been subjected to two years of experience in a national politicized education system when they could get someone who wants to get out there without enduring the what-sounds-like-hell of the English and Welsh state education system?

To respond to the OP, they've been mad for a long, long time. Their biggest failing is that they think they are not........

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

There is a reason they want 2 years experience, they want to know you can teach and 2 years is the minimum needed to take through an exam group to GCSE. I agree there are many new schools being set up but they are not all good! They will dump you quick as a flash if you cannot deliver results no matter how non politicized you are.
    I do agree the golden handcuffs idea which they are not - just handcuffs, is just desperate. This government has created this situation and now the wheels are beginning to fall off.

4. kemevez

Yes, but you can get that two years experience in a less fussy international school. With all the new international schools around, they can't all afford to hold all candidates to a 2 year requirement (although many countries have their own regulations but schools can usually find a way around this).

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Over the last five or maybe six years, many young, and some not so young, teachers have contacted me, to ask some questions about teaching in international schools. Many of these teachers eventually managed to get a job overseas and perhaps some of them found their way back to the UK, after a few years abroad. However, my overwhelming impression, made over 18 years in international schools, is that a lot of UK-trained teachers will never return to teach in the UK. Why is this, I wonder?

The other day I had an e-mail from a friend of mine who is a Science teacher in the UK. (Yes, there are a few of them left.) He had had a parents' evening, with 37 different lots of parents, from 5 to 9pm. This was after a full day's teaching and yes, he also has a weekend of marking and planning to look forward to. At my present school in China, we do not have any lessons when we have a parents' morning. Our teaching partners, who speak Mandarin, do most of the talking and it is nearly all over by lunchtime.

Are British-trained doctors and nurses prevented from working overseas? What about architects or airline pilots? As for this talk about so-called "golden handcuffs", I have to wonder whether this is some sort of sado-masochist fantasy. (Maybe teachers who want to leave the UK will also get a spanking from the French maid.) As for plugging the brain drain, anyone who lives in the UK will know expensive it is to find a good plumber these days. And don't forget the VAT.

6. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

I must say that I agree with the Hippo on this. Far, far too late to do anything about teachers leaving. We moved abroad in '99 and, I guess, there have been some hiccoughs along the way but we have consistently had a better standard of living and more disposable income than we would ever have had if we had stayed at the school we were at in NW London. Our daughters are also getting an education which people in the UK have to move house for or even sell their house to afford the fees, we get it for free. Obviously some teachers do return after a stint overseas but in all my time I have not met many who do not try to get back out "somewhere" pretty quickly. From what I read the doctors are the next lot who will be on their toes....

Perce

7. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Well this is from the supposed head of the body responsible from ensuring the quality of education in the UK. I must point out his error in the following "international branches of elite private schools", are nothing of the sort. The Brand Name of many English Private schools is a Franchise only with little or no contact between the UK school and the International organization.

In Shanghai there are at least 250 schools that can employ UK teachers, even without QTS or NQT. Its not just the 44 schools the Ofsted chief thinks there are "stealing" all the new members to the teaching profession.

Maybe to fill the gap in teacher recruitment we can send all the Ofsted inspectors into schools with teacher shortages !

We have a few 25something teachers from the UK with us here in Shanghai and they have 30K UK pound teacher loans to pay off, 7K UK pound credit card debit and no chance of saving for a deposit to buy a house working in the UK. Who will never be able to save to buy a house working in the UK!

It staggers me why anybody wants to teach in the state sector in the UK! Its very hard to retain a newly qualified teacher when they have just been punched in the face by a pupil who can not be disciplined by the school.

If Merchant Bankers have to be given a million pound bonus in a bank that posts a 2 billion pound loss what value does Ofsted put on a teacher. Teachers will run away from the classroom until conditions and salary improve.

8. kemevez

:eek:o_O This is the best thing I have read in a long time. But, please God no.........

9. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Have to agree Kem, Most of the Ofsted inspectors I ever met were failed senior managers, who were failed teachers in the first place!

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Well the Golden Handcuffs would have to match the cost of sending my children to a private school in the UK if they wanted me to return. So you can add on 60k UK Pounds/year to my teaching salary as I get 2 free places in the school I work in for my kids.(I have to pay meals/uniform/buss but what the hell).

None of the international schools in Shanghai match their illustrious name sakes but they turn out 97.5A*-C IGCSE and Russell Group Universities send admission officers to collect as many of our students as they can!

So its not only the financial rewards that the UK will have to match its also the education of my children. As a teacher in the UK would my children have the educational opportunities they have here in Shanghai with a good prospect of getting into Oxford/MIT or similar university.

Golden Handcuffs for me would have to be worth 125000UK Pounds, or the same as an MP!

11. marrsy_2000

marrsy_2000 New commenter

They also seem to think it's just about money. Being treated like a human being would be a start. In the UK most of the time teachers are made to feel like they are failing. Failing to please ofsted, failing to get unrealistic target grades, failing to keep up with all the latest initiatives. During my short time in two international schools I felt valued and praised for my hard work. I was invited to the heads house for dinner. How many state school teachers have had that experience? A small gesture but one that makes you want to stay and go the extra mile.