1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Golden Handcuffs: How can people be forced to stay and teach in the UK?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by andrew07, Feb 28, 2016.

1. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

How can this be enforced? Surely the government can't refuse people the right to leave the country as this is a violation of human rights and one of the many aspects of a free and democratic country. So, how can they keep people here?

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Knowing this government they'll take away their passports!

3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I think they may offer some inducement to stay. You either get it at the end of a period of time or you have to pay one back if you go too early....

They won't physically stop you going abroad. They can't get their act together enough to stop people going to Syria....

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The government isn't proposing to physically force people to work as teachers in state schools. The requirement will be (if they accept Wilshaw's proposal - they haven't commented on it yet) to work in state schools for 3 years, otherwise pay back the cost of your training. If you don't pay back the money the normal debt recovery processes can be used.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Hmm - see a few problems with that, e.g.

• I find teaching isn't for me & don't want to repay the costs, so I coast, do as little as possible, even try to get dismissed. Pretty bad for the pupils.... Or
    • I get a job abroad, and simply thumb my nose at attempts to send the bailiffs to Dubai, Australia, India or wherever.
    Oh, and what about the effect a policy like this might have on recruitment?

6. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I think the likely route they'd go down would be to force people to repay their bursaries if they don't continue teaching in the UK state sector.

Because the approach thus far has been to throw money at trainees (£25,000 tax free if you have a 1st in Maths or Physics, I believe) to boost recruitment, without dealing with the issue of retention, there must be a lot of people who have basically taken the money and run. I'm not criticising those people (most of whom have had every intention of pursuing a career in teaching, just it hasn't worked out), I take issue with the policy of throwing money at graduates rather than trying to keep experienced teachers in the profession.

I'm not entirely sure how reclaiming these bursaries would work in many cases though. For example, I know someone who started their NQT year but after just a few weeks was having panic attacks every morning, being physically sick, etc., and had to quit within a month. For a while, they had no income, so there's no way they could have reclaimed £15,000 from them.

I think for many people who leave teaching, it's not a choice. It's recognising that in the current state of affairs, remaining in teaching is impossible for them because it's making them ill.

7. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

That'll be a tough pill for Gibb and Morgan to swallow - they will have to admit there is a teacher crisis.

Especially as middle east countries do not see debt as a crime so no chance of recovering any money there. The only solution would be paying off student debt after each year of service. This would have to come from the total education budget.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Golden handcuffs usually mean giving somebody money if they stay in the job for long enough. That would be easy to enforce. The difficulty with going abroad and not paying is that it could make it hard to return to the UK in the future, although I suspect that some people would be able to get away with it. It appears to me to be similar to enforcing student loans.

9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Fancy having to bribe someone, or threaten them with financial penalties to force them to remain working as a teacher! How sad. How awful that our once noble profession has descended to this level. A shocking state of affairs.

blueskydreaming and Compassman like this.
  10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't think any of this is going to happen.

Noja likes this.
  11. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

One end of the golden handcuff is fitted to your non-marking wrist, with the other end welded to your desk. None of this namby-pamby virtual nonsense, these will be proper handcuffs.

12. janemk

janemk New commenter

That made me laugh out loud, as they say, @rosievoice :D

13. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

Why don't they stop for a minute and realise that they wouldn't need to offer any of this nonsense if:
    Ofsted backed off schools abit and just let them teach without breathing down their necks and demanding to see progress across everything! We have had a new national curriculum and tests, it'll take time to implement fully.
    Then that would take pressure of heads & slt who in turn should take stress away from teachers who are really feeling the pressure at the moment :(

14. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Never going to happen. It seems the government is hell bent on making as many teachers as possible (especially older ones) leave therefore cutting the wages bill.

ScotSEN likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Yes, plenty of practical problems but if it ever comes in - which I doubt - the government would probably treat recovery the same way they are planning to treat student loan recovery, where non-repayment could be a criminal offence. That may be be unenforceable in Dubai, but the prospect of having to stay in Dubai for ever or risk arrest when trying to re-enter the UK would probably ensure not many noses were thumbed.

16. FrankWolley

Only until you are 50 though - aren't debts cancelled then? (And doesn't have to be just Dubai....there's a lot of world that's not the UK!)

17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Golden handcuffs on the one hand and capability threats if you slip up a bit.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  18. FrankWolley

And, in the letters below this article, one says this:

90% of students graduating this year will never be able to repay their loan as they have over £30k (that is just uni, most of them have maintenance loans as well of up to 10k a year) to pay back and interest comes at around £1k per year. Most graduate jobs will pay £20-30k a year and even with the higher salary, the minimum mandatory repayment that most go for is around £700 a year. Doing some simple maths - > £300 is added to their loan every year until they earn way more than £30k. As the loan expires in 20 or 30 years, chances are it won't get repaid on time. And no, they will not be prosecuted as there is a contract with the loan company which in this case is not breached...

So if that's the problem with today's loans, makes the idea of trying to get training costs back as well even more unlikely to work!

19. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Really??? Then why is the Head of OFSTED even dignifying it. (I use the term dignity in relation to that man VERY loosely) Of course it might happen. If it's another stick to beat teachers with, Wilshaw will set it up for the government, and they will go with it. I think its naive to think otherwise. God help any young graduate going into the teaching profession these days.

20. Rott Weiler

Student Loans are written off at 50 if you haven't earned enough over the income threshold to repay it all. Repayments you should have made but have defaulted on aren't written off.

But at the moment this is just Wilshaw's musings in his monthly newsletter, not even an official Ofsted proposal, let alone a DfE one. As Wilshaw and Morgan are barely on speaking terms I doubt any more will be heard of it.