1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going up the career ladder

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by valisofronie, Oct 30, 2015.

?

Is the acquired experience enough to apply for a history teacher position?

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. valisofronie

valisofronie New commenter

Dear TheoGriff,
    I have been working in a primary school as EAL teaching assistant for nearly two years and I feel I need to move further and apply for a position as classroom teacher.
    I am an overseas qualified history teacher with one year full time teaching experience (2005-2006)in Romania.I obtained UK QTS (11-18) in 2009 but never been a history teacher in this country.
    In 2010 I attended a "Return to teaching" course funded by the TDA where I was introduced to the UK educational system, National Curriculum and practices in mainstream secondary schools.
    I have acquired some experience in working with secondary students by volunteering for George Mitchell School as a TA in the history department for nearly 3 months back in 2011 and then I worked as cover supervisor for Step Teachers for 4 months in 2012 in various schools in North London.Pressed by circumstances and willing to work in education I went for a position as EAL teaching assistant in January 2014 looking to improve both my fluency in spoken English and knowledge of planning and teaching. In the meantime, to update my subject knowledge in History I applied for an MA course in International Relations which I recently passed with Merit.
    What would your advice be considering that I want to pursue my dream of being a secondary history teacher based on the above experience?Do you think it is enough to be considered for a position like this or should I acquire more experience and then try again?
    Thank you and I look forward to your reply!

Best regards,
    Valentin Ionel Sofronie
    EAL Teaching Assistant

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there and welcome to the TES forums.

Before a school will take the risk (and it would be a risk) of appointing you, you need to have recent relevant experience and a school where your performance as a teacher and overall contribution means that they are happy to write a supportive professional reference.

The way to get this would be to work as a supply teacher through a supply agency.

The downside to that is, of course, that employment would be aleatory.

You would need a backup fund or a partner with a secure income to support you for a couple of terms at least before you then moved into a permanent position.

Best wishes

3. valisofronie

valisofronie New commenter

Dear TheoGriff,
    Thank you for taking time to reply to my query and I will follow your advice.
    Best regards,
    Valentin

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck - you seem to have high levels of written English, which is a good starting point.