1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going under!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mich21761, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mich21761

mich21761 New commenter

I need to off load! I am at the point where the much worked at career is about to fold. Since a new head took over at our school, moral has rapidly declined. She introduces a new initiative a week and delegates management tasks to staff. Last week we got a memo with 17 bullets that need to be implemented by first day of next half term. As a staff we are committed to the chn and school and whatever we give is never enough. I personally feel that I cannot carry on like this. All I do is work and sleep (well sometimes, if I'm not up worrying about something to do with school). Has anyone got any advice on how to get a work life balance or should I just cut my losses and leave? (that's how bad I feel)

2. The new Head probably has a list of bullet points to achieve in the year or so. I don't think work life balance will stand much chance during this time. A few years on there is a better chance, unless there is then another new Head and a different list of bullet points.

3. manic28

manic28 New commenter

It might help you to know you are not the only one. I'm not quite sure what our HT does all day. I know a HT is answerable, but all policies, the SEF, award applications...it seems like everything received is just delagated out to whichever member of staff happens to be next on the list / closest to the office!
    We get a list of bullet points every Thursday delivered by an apologetic secretary! Your heart sinks to read what new initiative school have gone for this time...or how you have to get xyz completed by last Thursday...or how on your behalf you have been roped into something that is going to mean even more time and energy when you are beyond capacity operation as it is.
    Believe me....you are not in that boat alone. I'm there too. It might seem easier to jump out and swim for shore, however you <u>do</u> have a class of children. Remember why you wanted to teach in the first place?
    Those germy little snotbags do make it worthwhile sometimes!
    There. Hope it did the trick.

4. The workload agreement was meant to promote a work/life balance. The principle seems to have been lost.j

5. mich21761

mich21761 New commenter

Thanks, I know i'm not the only one feeling like that. I do love the kids and teaching its all the other C***P I can't be doing with. I didn't and don't want to be a manager. I just want to teach.