1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going to see another school after school finishe/meeting clash

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by JessicaRabbit1, Nov 15, 2015.

1. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Hi,

I have handed in my notice at my current place. I have made an appointment to go and visit another school / speak to the Head on Monday after school. I received notification today from my team leader that there will be a department meeting after school on Monday. This is in addition to the weekly staff meeting.

I really want to go and see this school and speak to the Head. I don't want to make up an excuse about why I need to go after school, I want to be honest. Can they insist that I stay for this meeting? We are an academy so I'm guessing they can do what they want with regards to directed time??? Not sure.

Thanks in advance

2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Sickie, definitely...or chat with the union rep....you must put yourself first.

3. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

Neither professional nor necessary. You've been asked on a Sunday (for goodness' sake!) to attend a meeting on a Monday that you weren't expecting. Explain that you have an existing personal arrangement that cannot be changed and accordingly cannot come. That is true, and there is nothing that your team leader can do about it. He/she will need to give more notice next time.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Don't pretend you are ill. It's an irresponsible suggestion. Act like an adult, explain you have a prior appointment and do not attend the meeting.

5. gregometer

gregometer Occasional commenter

Email back, saying that on this occasion, you have an appointment for Monday, which you cannot change. Ask for a week's notice for future new meetings and suggest next Monday is fine.

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  6. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Thanks. As I said in my OP, I had no intention of making anything up; I wanted to be honest and was just checking whether I was being reasonable. I've emailed back and explained that I have an appointment so shan't be attending.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's the way to go! Although should you be answering school e-mails on a Sunday rather than Monday morning? :)

Now read this:

Pre-application visits to schools

If you do decide to apply, then come down to Jobseekers Forum and ask for the applications advice.

Best wishes