1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going to miss my class!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lhunt2, Jul 3, 2012.

1. I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling emotional about losing their current class. My current class are so lovely, they have their moments when I want to rip their heads off, but overall they really are fab. Every time I think about them moving up to Year 5 I get tearful! I'm dreading our final assembly when I will have to talk about them and wish them well, I'm sure I'll lose it and start crying! Any tips for holding it together? Does any else feel like this or am I being a bit of a woosie?!

2. I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling emotional about losing their current class. My current class are so lovely, they have their moments when I want to rip their heads off, but overall they really are fab. Every time I think about them moving up to Year 5 I get tearful! I'm dreading our final assembly when I will have to talk about them and wish them well, I'm sure I'll lose it and start crying! Any tips for holding it together? Does any else feel like this or am I being a bit of a woosie?!

3. I would if they were leaving Y6 and moving on but I wouldn't become emotional for any other year group! I enjoy them while I have them, but look forward to seeing them around school in their next class and also look forward to a fresh start towards the end of the year.
    I love my class but they have been little horrors this past fortnight and we are ALL ready for a change!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL this made me laugh outloud!

Nothing wrong with being a woosie. I was nearly in tears yesterday when parents were being really sweet about me moving to year 1. I told them I was a bit worried (in a light hearted way) and they were so amazingly kind and encouraging I nearly cried then and there.

I'll be sobbing my heart out on the last day, especially as one of my children with a truly lovely set of parents is leaving!

But I am rather too emotional at the moment and so cry at the drop of a hat!

5. Yes! Partly because they were an absolute blessing after several very difficult years running. Behaviour management has been a dream- they are Year 4 and I've only had to use counting down and shaking a tambourine (an even then, rarely) to get their attention. They have been a dream class, and the year has gone so fast that I want to stretch the next few weeks out because who knows how often a class like them come along! There is the added dimension that we stream for Literacy and Maths, so I will also be missing some of the children from the other Y4 class...
    However, they still have 2 years left at the school, and I've found that previous classes that I've liked never forget you and you can still enjoy a good rapport with them around and about school. They still feel they 'own' you a little bit and you actually get used to it pretty quickly while developing a new loyalty and rapport with your new class.
    Enjoy the last few weeks with them- better to hand them on on a high- I find that Year 5 can turn some classes a little sour sometimes...!

6. I had Year 6 last year and I was okay about them leaving, they were a good class too, with some fantastic parents (manicure vouchers for pressies? Yes please). Maybe I'll give in to my inner woosiness and give a Gwyneth Paltrow style Oscar speech, thanking them all whilst sobbing.
    I cry lots too, usually when I'm reading a class book and someone dies. I really should choose happier books.

7. I like the idea of them 'owning' a little bit of me, we have a great rapport, lots of in jokes and affection, quite a few of them accidentally call me mom (I have a daughter the same age so probably do mother them a bit!). I have my new class tomorrow for an hour and they are supposed to bicker all the time, hopefully though they'll be okay and I'll look forward to a new start. Or it could go terribly wrong, they'll be right pains in the rear and I'll feel even worse!