1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going through the boxes

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by gooddays, Apr 4, 2012.

1. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

When I was a new primary teacher, my husband, then president of his local at the Children's Aid Society, told me, in convincing labourspeak, "The worker does not buy his own tools." Therefore, I have bought fewer than 20 picture books, other than for our own children, and next to no manuals or teachers' guides. Every Remembrance Day, Christmas, spring, Easter, etc., I would hunt down a copy of <u>Stone Soup.</u> or whatever books I needed, at the teacher resource centre or the public library, and return them after the alotted 3 weeks. It was time consuming and inconvenient, and I've often wished I had forked out the money for my own copies as other colleagues did, spending hundreds of dollars of their own funds to buy school resources. When the biggest spender of them all retired at my school, she held 3 garage sales where she sold her boxes and boxes and boxes of books.
    I've tried to not accumulate too much "teacher stuff" over the past few years, but I spent nearly 2 hours after school today and an hour yesterday separating things into piles: "recycle/garbage", "bequeath to a young teacher" and "save in case I supply teach". Trimming things down quite nicely. Not regretting my thrifty ways now.

2. ljr

ljr New commenter

I know I have spent far too much on resources over the years, but if it made life easier at the time & gave me more time with my family I was happy. Now I am 'packing my boxes' I find that I have a ready made 'Grandma's box' ready for when my brand new grandson comes to visit - and it will last until he is about eight or nine, so I won't be spending my pension on entertaining him in the future. There are plenty of fun things that I know we will have fun using together.