1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going through a period of stress...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Sep 10, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well that's a relief. Am concerned the doctor won't give me them. I went once before for anxiety and got told to talk 'Kalms' and that was that, so am not sure he'll give me them, but I certainly feel like I need them. I do feel brighter than I did this morning though. Ups and downs!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Life's like that. You have ups and downs. There are times when I feel really down. Made a few (ok - a lot) mistakes in my life and in a position now that I really didn't see myself being here. Then I have days which are great and life is worth living. Never taken tablets but there are times I think I should have.
    Hope you start to feel better and get the tablets.

3. I took Prozac for a few months about 7 years ago and I'm glad I did. It helps; non-addictive and anything that helped me to get up in the morning and be 'mummy' has to be worth it. My daughter would have suffered if I hadn't taken them (and my finances as they helped me to keep my job) so I will be eternally grateful...and always open to using them again if things get that black again.

4. I took Prozac 18 months ago and it made things so much better. I was depressed from losing a baby when I was 21 and working in a horrid school. I tried counselling and this helped but it just was not enough because my year group partner fell pregnant and it was too much to cope with. I remember my husband breaking into the bathroom because I had locked the door (I was doing my moustache!!) and he thought I was upto something silly.
    The Prozac takes a little while to kick in but once it did, it really felt like a dark cloud had been lifted. Both my eyes twitched from the constant stress and I wasn't sleeping. I have to be honest and say that I changed schools eventually and this also helped. I have never had to declare that I was treated for depression so don't worry about this. I was worried about relying on them too much but my doctor took me off them the next time I conceived and it was all fine - even though I lost that baby too. Thankfully the third time was lucky and we will be welcoming a little one in six weeks time.
    I hope you feel better soon - depression is not something I would wish upon my worst enemy.

5. Please go and see your doctor. If they are not understanding, don't battle it out, just leave and make an appointment with a different doctor.
    Any prescription is likely to take quite a while to take effect.
    Regardless of the reaction trom others : if you get the chance to go regularly : find a dance/exercise class to work the class - try that, doesn't matter what you look like, everyone's trying to improve.
    If not, find your nearest gym - always better to find a buddy to work with - mutual support and encouragement.

6. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Tell the doctor what you've written here and tell them that they need to help you. They will. I wouldn't be here today without my 'pills'. Look at us all telling you on here - loads of people suffer with this and it can be treated. The pills will take a week or so to settle you down but recognising yourself again will be worth the wait. See your doctor this week and all the best x

7. ((((Hugs))))) Go to docs, if he won't help go to another doc that will.
    This is you changing your life.
    Hope you're on here soon feeling much better.
    ADs get a bad press but they are a lifeline for so many people.

8. Just adding myself to the list of people who have taken ADs to get through a difficult time. They made me feel odd for a couple of weeks until they kicked in but then the difference was amazing. Eventually I was strong enough to stop taking them and life has been back to normal ever since. I would not hesitate to take them again if I needed to. I would echo the comment about counselling though. I had it through OH as my work was suffering due to stress but it did help. Do it privately if you can. Good luck, hope things pick up soon. VP xxx

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

A large proportion of teachers are or have been made unwell due to stress. It is recognised pretty much universally by Heads as a major feature of the job and you should not experience discrimination or disadvantage as a result of it - that would be illegal.
    Actually, your employer has a duty of care towards you in Health and Safety terms not to cause you to suffer from excessive stress at work, in the same way they have a duty to make sure other aspects of the working environment are safe - no slippy floors or dangerous steps etc.
    There are effective treatments of this too - medication isn't the only option, but there are drugs nowadays that can make a big difference without too many side effects, for example.
    Many people around you are living with the situation you describe, but you just don't realise because they are managing it with help and support.
    You don't have to tell your school about how you are - if you end up having a lot of time off, they will require an Occupational Health involvement and you should take proper union advice on this. It's not as negative as it sounds, because your employer will then have legally binding plan for managing your health in the working environment, for example reducing hours or responsibilities.
    All that is a long way down the line though, and if you get along to your GP straight away now, you may well find a way of managing and getting through this without it getting worse.
    If you try and battle on alone, you are depriving yourself of the support you are entitled to, and are making it more likely that your symptoms may get worse. Be kind to yourself and get along to your GP. You wouldn't sit at home with a broken leg would you? think of it in those terms - this is a real and treatable illness.

10. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your kind and supportive words. I've just registered to a more local gp and will be making an appointment tomorrow. I've felt like this on and off for years and haven't ever really sone anything about it, just accepting it as normal, but this episode is worse than ever, I have constant butterflies in my stomach, like I'm constantly nervous about something, I'm not even interested in food really, even when I'm hungry I just can't be bothered to go and get anything to eat, and I'm crying at intervals during the day. This is horrendous and I've finally realised I need to see someone, I can't feel like this much longer. It's unbearable.

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Well done, you.
    You aren't alone in this, remember

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Have you been able to identify any triggers for it? I know the kind of things that bring mine on and it's hard to do something about it when you're in that kind of mood. I've just had 6 weeks without work and pay which really does not help how I feel about myself. But now I'm working again, that kind of helps.
    Hope GP visit goes ok.
    Robyn

13. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well the biggest trigger this time is that my oh is in Afghanistan. It's been an emotional roller coaster so far and we aren't even a third of the way through yet. Probably not even a quarter intact. I need to be ng for him, and sitting at home crying isn't right. It's not just that, there are many other things going on which are causing me stress... Am going for a walk now to try and clear my head a bit...

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

No wonder your stressed lilipad. You look after yourself and take all the good advice you've been given here. Very best wishes to you.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Is he in the TA or regular army? Have you got support from other partners? It must be a very difficult time for you. Take care.

16. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

He's in the proper army... He has always been, and has been on many tours before this one. This is my first with him, but my second as a partner of someone. It's not just that though, i'm blowing all sorts of tiny things out of proportion and am generally not coping very well. He doesn't know any of this of course. I will tell him once I have seen the doctor but I don't want to cause him undue worry as he's got enough on his plate.

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Lillipad, I'd like you to do two things-don't worry, both are harmless and can be done sitting down!
    1) If you sprained your wrist, would you refuse to wear a support to help the wrist to heal?
    2) Write down all the things going on in your life-work, OH etc.
    Now:
    1) Why would you refuse to wear a support? You wouldn't refuse because you know it will help. The tablets are there to help you heal-to give you support, just like the wrist support. Basically, there is no difference.
    2) Imagine that someone has sent you 'your' list. What advice would you give them? Maybe look for some support? Maybe see the doctor?
    For some reason, often when people find themselves in the 'mire' of life, they seem to lose their sense of worthiness and tell themselves, 'I should be coping!'

Walking is good, but see the doctor. If he says talk Kalms, see another doctor as someone else wrote ^^.
    You might find you are on the pills for a little while. So what? If they're helping, why stop them before the doctor advises?
    Do yourself a favour-be good to yourself as you deserve it.
    Take care.

18. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I know the emotions that you describe so well. To suffer this alongside the worry about your partner in Afghanistan is too much for anyone to cope with. You WILL feel better with the right medication and you deserve to. I am so glad that you are seeing a doctor tomorrow. All the best for now and a less painful future (((Lillipad)))

19. A Very Big ((( HUG )))

20. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I can't believe how lovely everyone has been on here. Thank you so much, I really didn't expect many replies when I posted, and it's so reassuring that people take it seriously and that you can come out the other side.