1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going slightly mad!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by katerina_78, Apr 23, 2012.

1. katerina_78

katerina_78 New commenter

I live in a ground floor flat with one flat above me. The architects thought it'd be a great idea to put the kitchen of the flat above right on top of my bedroom. What a clever idea.
    I've lived here for a year now and as I moved in the people upstairs moved out and it was empty for about 3 months. Chinese final year university students then moved in. On the whole they are fine, not like 'typical' students and make very little noise on the whole. The washing machine makes the whole ceiling shake, so I told them about this and they are good to only use this during the day and not early or late.
    But....they have a microwave or some other device that they use on a very regular basis that makes a really loud humming / buzzing noise right above my bed. They use this up to midnight / 1 am for periods of 5 minutes up to 1 hour. IT IS MAKING ME CRAZY. I will be drifting off to sleep when I am woken with banging footsteps and then this buzzing noise and I just then can't get back to sleep...hence writing this at gone midnight on a Sunday night.
    I just don't know what to do...I've contemplated going up to talk to them, but I can't tell them when they can and can't use their kitchen. What can / should I do?
    I don't want to start dreading going to bed and worrying that I'm going to be woken up, but on the other hand, I don't think I can just ignore this. It's got in to my system. Sleep to a teacher is vital and I'm certainly not one for only a few hours sleep.
    It's a bit of a moral dilemma....so your advice is VERY welcome! Help!

2. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Talk to the upstairs neighbours about your problem and see if you can find a solution together. They sound reasonable so I hope you will be able to come to some agreement. I'm not sure why it is a moral dilemma. It sounds more of a practical dilemma to me. I don't suppose they are aware of the distress they are causing you so you need politely and calmly to tell them.

3. If they are considerate as you say, then the very worst thing you can do is be a neighbour from Hell and see they leave....only to be replaced with a REAL neighbour from Hell!!! Maybe invite them around, yes, and talk after a while about it, calmly and without making demands. It sounds very likely they will listen and compromise, as it is not likely a group of students would ever believe a microwave oven could cause so many issues. You could also consider using earplugs, not least as you appear very sensitive to sound or movement?

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I thoroughly recommend Muffles wax earplugs from Boots the Chemist. Wonderful

5. Kibosh - I use the Superdrug foam ones. Much less 'invasive' to the ear. I don't know how you can bear the wax ones! OP - SUPERDRUG FOAM EARPLUGS. Honestly, you'll never be bothered by noises like that again. Sadly, they don't really block out snoring from husbands...

6. When I was a boy, we lived next door to an elderly couple. As my bedroom shared a partition wall with theirs, my sleep was punctuated by stentorian farts and raucous snoring that sounded like two millstones being ground together. The former was mildly amusing, but the latter, night after night, was intolerable. At least it made me eager to go to bed earlier, hoping I would be asleep by the time the aeolian orchestra started up.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control

8. katerina_78

Hi,
    Thank you for all the replies.....
    My only other room in the house is my lounge, that has open plan kitchen, so long term isn't practical. I also love my bedroom! Pretty pictures etc.
    I think that I will go and talk to them and just make them aware of the situation, I can't expect them to move anything or even stop - it's their flat - but I think maybe just letting them know how it impacts on me, is good for them to know....
    Oh the perils of modern living....these new builds just have cardboard for walls and floors!

9. I can well understand how annoying this is. When I was a teenager and lived at home, my bedroom was above the kitchen and next to the bathroom/loo. I always slept in my old room whenever I stayed at my parents as an adult. When my mum became elderly and forgetful ( she now has dementia) she would be up quite a few times at night going to the loo and flushing it. Then she'd be unable to sleep so she'd go downstairs and put the kettle on, start rummaging in cupboards, put the heating on ( the boiler would clang like mad when it first started up.) she would sometimes put the radio on REALLY LOUDLY too. I could literally hear every little thing she was doing in the kitchen, the floorboards must have been very thin! I was so sleep deprived after a few nights like this that I was a wreck by the end of my stay. I agree that earplugs are very useful in these situations but even better would be swapping rooms as suggested above.

10. perhaps they could put the microwave on a mat or something to lessen the noise?

11. katerina_78

Good idea! I have ear plugs but will invest in new ones, they are foam ones from Boots. But will see what else they have.
    It's nice to hear other stories and know that I'm not going THAT mad!!!

12. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

My friend was kept awake by banging and hammering noises one night and in the morning - seeing the young neighbours emerge from their house at the same time she was leaving - asked them why they had been doing woodwork late at night.
    No sooner had the words left her mouth than she realised....................

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have to wear ear plugs every night because of my husband's snoring but the sound of my own dishwasher will also keep me awake. I think ear plugs are the way to go.